Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E320
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 E320 and today I replaced the front shocks because the old ones were bad. Before there would be squeaking noises coming from the wheel area whenever I would drive the car, especially over bumps. Changing the shocks did not fix the issue, as the noise is still there. Although there is less noise because the new shocks absorb the bumps and stuff better, its still there.

Do you have any idea where this noise could be coming from? I can't seem to grasp at where the noise could be coming from and I was hoping if others that might have had the same issue would be able to help me out with this.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Would it be possible its brake related, since its plausible to say you slow down before the bumps...making you think it's suspension related?

I'd check brakes or rotors.

I'd lift the car and spin the tires freely and check for play at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions then proceed with 3 and 9 o'clock positions. There should be no play at all. Start with the side you suspect its coming from.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have a 97 E320 and today I replaced the front shocks because the old ones were bad. Before there would be squeaking noises coming from the wheel area whenever I would drive the car, especially over bumps. Changing the shocks did not fix the issue, as the noise is still there. Although there is less noise because the new shocks absorb the bumps and stuff better, its still there.

Do you have any idea where this noise could be coming from? I can't seem to grasp at where the noise could be coming from and I was hoping if others that might have had the same issue would be able to help me out with this.
Btw, shocks would not make a squeaking sound, its the non hydraulic components i'd look at. Usually rubber bushings, there should be no tears, and some softness. If there is none at all, then there is your problem.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
i would put money on the sway bar bushings. might as well change the links while you are there. ($30 parts and 30 min labor).
the old shocks probably were still fine. other suspension parts like lower ball joints, sway bar bushings + links, and lower control arm bushings wear out way before shocks do in w210.

·
Registered
1997 E320
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will take a look at them. Do you think that it's safe to still be driving with the noise? The noise only comes when you go over bumps or you push down the car. If I take my hands and push the front of the car down, the noise comes out.

As for the shocks, they did need to be replaced...there was oil leaking from the sides and when I rotated my tires they agreed that they were bad.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
In my experience...its usually the lower control arm bushings

·
Registered
1997 E300D
508 Posts
My bet is on the upper ball joints. If you can make it squeak by bouncing the front corner that the squeak is coming from, reach across the tire and put your hand on the upper ball joint which sticks up above the top of the tire a bit. Bounce the corner gently while holding on to the ball joint. If you feel the vibration in the ball joint when you hear the squeak, it is likely the upper ball joint. A mechanics stethoscope can be bought for a few dollars from Harbor Freight and can make sure you have found the problem component.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry to spam your topic, but this might be related.

I also have an intermittent whistling (loud) noise coming from the car as I drive at low speeds or am slowing down.
It could happen as I'm turning the steering wheel, going up and down a bump or even on a flat road while driving.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I'd check brakes. Brake pads are designed to make noise when the friction material is getting low.

·
Registered
2000 E320
21 Posts
@ The sting - General direction of the noise?
@ Titan - um, what I do with squeaks, get a can'o lubricant (wynns No.5 etc) Stick your head under the vehicle, and spray a component and test by 'bobbing' the car up and down. Should find the culprit easily.

Unrelated; I have been struggling with the rear outer hub rubber bush. Spray it every now and again to keep it quiet. Going to douse it with silicon spray tomorrow, love that stuff. :) Highly recommended for all the rubbers on our vehicles.

·
Registered
2013 E350 Bluetec; 1985 300TD
185 Posts
My bet is on the upper ball joints. If you can make it squeak by bouncing the front corner that the squeak is coming from, reach across the tire and put your hand on the upper ball joint which sticks up above the top of the tire a bit. Bounce the corner gently while holding on to the ball joint. If you feel the vibration in the ball joint when you hear the squeak, it is likely the upper ball joint. A mechanics stethoscope can be bought for a few dollars from Harbor Freight and can make sure you have found the problem component.
Agreed. I had this exact problem and it was the upper control arms/ball joints.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Ironically this just happened a few days ago. I sprayed the upper control arm bushing with WD-40 and it went away.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes Benz E320
108 Posts

I had the exact same problem on my car, not too long ago, but the noise only came from the passanger side I found out the hard way that it was the LCA. :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts