Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<br>
<br>
I have a 2001 CLK430 and have noticed a very annoying squeaking noise coming in from the dashboard everytime I hit a small bump or impefection in the road. This problem is most apparent when the car has been sitting out in the sun for a couple of hours. Is this a common problem? How do I fix it?<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>
<br>
Sunit<br>
New Berlin, WI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the same problem..it seems to come from the wood trim on the dash...maybe the glue looses it

in hot weather. I have a 2001 CLK 320 cab..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had the same problem in my 2001 CLK320.<br> <br> I found that depressing the top of the dash the squeak went away. So I tried a permanent press by using a wood wedge about 1 inch wide and 1/4 inch thick I then covered one end with two layers of paper towel I then wedged this between the windscreen and the dash for a day or so (I don't drive the car every day) and left it in the hot garage. After removing the wedge the noise goes away for about a week.<br> <br> Also mentioned it to the dealer when I took it in for an oil change they used some lube for the trim that seem to make it even better but did not completly eliminate it. I did want the dealer to take the dash apart since I think they will make it worse.<br> <br> I may try some dry lube when I get to the autoparts store.<br> <br> Repost if you find a better cure.<br> <br> Martin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's actually between the dash and the window (thought it was the burl trim)....

dealer installed a felt strip (between the dash and wondow) and it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just bought a 2002 CLK 430 Convertible 2 weeks ago, it had the same squeak. I took a 3 inch wide strip of felt about the length of the dash and pushed it in with a flexible metal ruler. Squeak gone!

·
Registered
CLK430 Cab 03
97 Posts
I need to do this, it's driving me crazy. It's 110F here, if you even look at the dash it squeaks. Just want to make sure I'm stuffing felt between the dash and windshield not the dash and the trim piece right? I've always assumed the noise was from the wood trim.

Thanks

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Annoying problem is not exclusive to W208 or even MB. This is a plastics issue. Just go old school on it. Spray some good quality silicone at the creaks. Don't try Armor all, its petroleum based and in the long run causes even more trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts