Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'97 S600C; '95 E320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm just new to this forum even though my wife and I have owned Mercedes Benz cars uninterrumptedly for over thirty four years.

The front brakes on my '95 E320 have been squeaking non stop although I have replaced the rotors (OEM) twice and the brake pads (OEM) three times in the last thousand miles. The garage where I take the car for repairs, factory trained mechanics, has been very cooperative but to no avail.

Any advise what the possible cause(s) could be?

Kind regards,

·
Registered
500E, E320, 190E, E55
1,006 Posts
Are you absolutely sure that there is not any squeak coming from the rears. W124 rear brakes are more prone to some mild squeaking. If it is definitely the fronts, I would say improper installation of pads. I believe there are anti squeal shims for those pads.
Use TEXTAR pads and you should not have any more problems. Textar is one of the O.E. suppliers for MBZ and I have been using them for years on my 124's
They tend to dust more but have a more positive feel to them.

·
Registered
'97 S600C; '95 E320
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I should have been more clear regarding the noise.

The brakes squeak only when applying the brakes even if I'm driving at 5MPH. It is an irritating, piercing noise.

I took the car to the garage four times for this problem and I gave them permission to drive the car home in order to familiarize with the noise. The mechanic disambled and reasembled the rotors and pads and replaced the pads twice. The rear rotors and pads have also been replaced. The noise definitely comes from the front.

It is the first time in eight years going to the same shop that I had to take the car back for the same problem. When I take my S600 to one of the local dealers for warranty work I have to take it back at least twice for the same problem.

Nevertheless, I'll tell the mechanic about the Textar pads.

Thanks for your advise.

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
Nearly always a squealing brake problem is due to a lack of anti-squeal paste on the backs of the brake pads. MB pads typically have shims on the back of the pads for this purpose. The shims have holes that are supposed to be filled with anti-squeal paste, which is really just a commercially available copper-based neversieze compound.

I find it hard to believe the mechanics would miss this step during the brake job. Squealing brakes because of lack of attention to this step is the number one reason for customer return after a brake job.

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
It seems to me that brake shops neglect to take this step for what i see as another reason for you to bring the car back in for more work. Im speaking more along the lines of national chain stores.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
If the cause is lack of the never-seize paste, you can make the noise go away for one day by spraying the rotor with the anti-squeak junk they sell at auto parts stores.

If the noise does not go away after the spray-on treatment, check wheel bearings for excessive run-out, AND check the ball joints/tie-rod ends for play. Any excess play in any of the parts that connect the wheel to the car can cause vibration. Vibration makes noise.

Let us know what you find, please.

Happy Trails,
Dave

·
Registered
2002 CL55 AMG, 1993 190E 2.3L, 2004 SLK320 Sport
1,733 Posts
Maybe check, emergency brake shoes(inside of rear rotors)? I had a similar problem, until I replaced the rear rotors and all is well now! The rotors were worn and warped, plus the shoes were grinding on the insides of the rotors!
Hope you get this problem solved !

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts