Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please. I am getting a disturbing sound when I hit hard, fast bumps such as potholes or bridge threasholds. I can only describe the sound as a squeak but the sound is lower in pitch and more like a creaking door. The sound feels like it is coming from the base of the windshield but I cannot be sure. Is this normal for convertable CLK's? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I found the source of the noise. On the top of the left side of the inner side of the windshield frame is the plastic trim. when i put the top down today, i wiggled the top of the trim that is next to the visor and was able to reproduce a sound that is close, if not the same as, to the sound of the terrible creaking i notice when hitting a hard fast bump. i'll post a picture in a couple of days.

is there a good way to secure the trim so it does not make that sound?

L

·
0 Posts
I have the same problems in the same area. Dealer re-lubed the top and solved the problem.

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes CLK 500 convertible
3 Posts
I had/have the same problem. Took it to the dealer and they apparantly replaced some nuts and bolts and the problem got much much better, but its still there. Should the car make any noise when you go over bumps and stuff on the road? I would expect that a mercedes should make no rattles what so ever.

·
Registered
2009 CLK 550 AMG Cabriolet
10 Posts
The sound is coming from the rubber seal at the top of the windshield. You can try armor-all, but it might not work.

·
Registered
2008 CLK550 Cab
402 Posts
It is probably not from the main seal at the top. Your cloth headliner inside terminates at a rubber strip under that big trim piece at the front - the thing your sun visors flip up against. When it creaks, hook your fingers over it and just pull down a little an see if stops. If so, put the top down and it like four screws and it pops off. Lube the rubber strip.

·
Registered
2008 CLK550 Cab
402 Posts
Correction - not the peice the sunvisors close against - but the big piece behind that. The piece on the top itself that has the round plug in it.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,940 Posts
Go to your dealer and buy the official lubricant for the soft top rubber. It;s about $45 for a small vial, but it is a miracle liquid - a little goes a long way and will silence the rubber seals. That vial will likely last you 10 years.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Could it be that the cabrio body is 'flexing' under stress?

I seem to recall that the cabrio body (not the coupe) has 2 cross braces on the chassis underside to prevent this. A previous poster here found that when he tightened these bolts up to the correct torque, all his creakings disappeared.

Right now, I cannot find the picture showing the parts in my WIS.

·
Registered
2008 CLK 550 Cabriolet
105 Posts
FWIW I had a bad creak going over bumps, went away when i lubed the sway bar bushings. I used the KRYTOX GPL-102 which is a very fluid oil (this is the brand of the miracle lube referenced earlier) purchased from amazon, was a little over $30..

I've lubed pratically everything in the car and still have some left over. I will buy again, but a heavier viscosity which will hopefully work a bit better in some of the high friction areas which have started to make noise again after approximately 6 months.

Right now i also have a creak coming from the left rear, which i imagine is either a cross member as suggested by keyhole, or some other bushing which needs a spot of lube.

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,940 Posts
The diagonal struts on the cabriolet should be re-torqued every few years. To do this, you have to first raise the vehicle and remove the lower engine paneling. The torque can only be checked with the full load on the suspension, so you have to lower it back to the ground. Proper torque is 80Nm.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
Rod -any idea what those cabrio cross struts are called in the WIS, and what section they are in?

I know that I have seen a photo taken from beneath that clearly shows them, and the torques for their bolts - but I now cannot find that drawing...:confused:

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,367 Posts
The diagonal struts on the cabriolet should be re-torqued every few years. To do this, you have to first raise the vehicle and remove the lower engine paneling. The torque can only be checked with the full load on the suspension, so you have to lower it back to the ground. Proper torque is 80Nm.
Quite right.

I've just discovered that it is in the WIS in Section 32 (suspension) under 'front axle stabilizer bar'. The WIS photo shows the location of the two diagonal struts, which are only used on the cabriolet.

A technical point about re-torqueing... Should a 'self-locking bolt' (as supplied by MB) ever lose its original torque? It seems contradictory.:)

Attachments

·
18,940 Posts
Given the amount of chassis flex, there could be some movement on those self-locking nuts and bolts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts