Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300SL-24
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this has been a problem since i bought the car i have had long squeaks when the gear changes or 0-20 acceleration... it only happens with the ac on and sometimes the ac doesnt come cold after driving it for a while but when first started it comes real cold. my question is how can i tighten the belt with the belt tensoner. also theres a rattleing noise where the damper in the engine is but another fellow benzworld said it needed bushings. where can i get the bushings? can i buy it from a dealer or do i have to buy a whole new damper?

·
Registered
1990 300SL-24
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
let me refrace that question i need to figure out how to tighten that belt because its very loose and i bet it would solve all those problems

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Loosen do NOT remove the belt tentioner bolt.
(Is the one under the the plastic roller, 15mm.)

Then somewhere on one of the sides of the power steering pump is the adjusting ROD.
(You will see a I think is a 13mm nut.)

I don't know the exact six cylinder locations.

Loosen if you want replace the belt.
Pointer should go all the way UP.

Or if you want to see/CK....
The tentioner has some three lines/markings.

New belt is adjusted to the CENTER mark.
If belt is OK, no cracks, or burns.
Just adjust it a little down.

Don't forget to tighten the tentioner BOLT. Haha. ;)

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
1996 SL320
285 Posts
Good day, in the past if belt squeaked spray small amount of silicone spray on belt will eliminate squeak.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,085 Posts
If the belt is loose and the tensioner will not tighten it anymore, it's time for a replacement tensioner. They do fail. Had to do that last fall to my 1991 300SL while visiting friends in Vermont. Thank heavens for speedy parts supplier and UPS.

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
this may not relate to you squeak, however my AC system produced a high pitch noise that changed with turns, speed and air temp. I followed the AC blower fix and reset the snapped off strap, replaced the CPU paste between the heat sink, blower housing and cleaned all the pathways, resulting in no extra sound, great cooling and a host of critter legs and wings from the outside air intakes. What side of MO are you in? Good luck with the 300, your other toys are cool, too

·
Registered
1990 300SL-24
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
sorry for my failure to reply.... i was out of the country for a little while visiting family in germany. i still havent had it done but it will be done soon, from what i was told it was broken by one of my mechanics but i will do a personal inspection before ordering a new one. also to answer one question im in the stl chesterfield side. the sound is more like a long squeeeeek after a gear shift but air blows cold *knocks on wood* either way just dont want to damage compressor so i turn it off before initally driving thus afterwords no slipping

·
Registered
10 c63, 06 s65
292 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 300sl it was because of an oil leak which got all over the belt causing it to squeak. It also leaked all over the a/c clutch which caused it to slip so the a/c didnt work. Probably something to look into if tightening/replacing doesnt solve it.

·
Registered
1990 300SL-24
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there is a slight oil leak but not on that area belt feels dry and air blows cold and hot when needed its raining today so i couldnt get working on it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts