Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300TD
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So My wife took her '05 ML350 SE into the dealer for the third time to see if they could fix the squealing brakes.

4 hours later...

Nope, everything is fine, all Mercedes brakes squeal, it's normal. Operating as intended.

My Wife: ...but my Pontiac Aztek's brakes never squealed!

Dealership: Um, ...next!

Anyhow, not a big deal, but clearly Mercedes brake squeal is a "feature" you get when you pay $48,000 for an SUV. It's not even available as on option on Pontiacs!

Best Regards,

e

·
Registered
03 ML500/00 CLK320A
392 Posts
eolon - 4/7/2005 2:44 PM

My Wife: ...but my Pontiac Aztek's brakes never squealed!

Dealership: Um, ...next!

Anyhow, not a big deal, but clearly Mercedes brake squeal is a "feature" you get when you pay $48,000 for an SUV. It's not even available as on option on Pontiacs!

Best Regards,

e

The ML has an additional standard feature that is not available on other vehicles sold in the USA -- headlights that fog up from the inside. I think it's a Mercedes-Benz exclusive.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
foggy headlights

Actually, lots of cars have exactly the same problem with the lights fogging (it's not our MB exclusive). I see lots of cars on the street in New York (since we walk everywhere) and every brand has this problem. Jags, BMW's, Chevy's, Lexus, Nissan, etc.

I notice these things to make myself feel better of course so I thought I'd share the good news with everyone.

·
Registered
2001 ML320
1,126 Posts
ditto

even way back, the Ford Probe had this problem.

Headlight makers sometimes don't caulk all the way around and there's a small gap. Heat up moisture that gets into that gap and you have fog. MB doesn't make the headlights...

·
Registered
03 ML500/00 CLK320A
392 Posts
RE: foggy headlights

bigcatny - 4/7/2005 11:10 PM

Actually, lots of cars have exactly the same problem with the lights fogging (it's not our MB exclusive). I see lots of cars on the street in New York (since we walk everywhere) and every brand has this problem. Jags, BMW's, Chevy's, Lexus, Nissan, etc.

I notice these things to make myself feel better of course so I thought I'd share the good news with everyone.
"Lots"??? I DON'T SEE ANY NON-MB VEHICLES IN WASHINGTON, DC OR IT'S ENVIRONS WITH THIS PROBLEM. I GUESS GOOD OLE NYC IS A SPECIAL KIND OF PLACE.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
We like to think we're tough and we treat our cars accordingly...[:D][:D]

Many many many cars have this problem. I saw 3 BMW's and one lexus on one block one evening with the fogging problem.

Of course the fogging is only on rainy days so maybe you never noticed, like I said we walk everywhere all the time.

·
Registered
ML-320
141 Posts
The ML has an additional standard feature that is not available on other vehicles sold in the USA -- headlights that fog up from the inside. I think it's a Mercedes-Benz exclusive.
The seal on the passenger side headlighs broke about a year ago and a significant amount of water started accumulating. The dealer replaced the entire unit under warranty and realigned the bi-xenon headlights. Occasionally a very small amount of condensation forms on the rear lights but it dissipates within a day.

I had an Acura Legend that had condensation on one of the headlights, but not as bad as the picture here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts