Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I don't think I can be the only Square cab owner that has experienced this phenomenon.

You are driving on the interstate, in one of the righthand slow lanes. It is in the afternoon, and you are headed west. The slow lanes are usually a little more beat up, due to truck traffic, so you are driving along, and hobby-horsing a bit, as you hit the bumps.

OK, your windshield is flat, and at the perfect angle, so what happens is that it picks up the rays of the setting sun, and it acts as an efficient mirror.
With the bouncing of the truck, the windshield / mirror tilts up and down and lights up the Scotchlite reflective panels of ALL the overhead interstate signs.

The signs flash 'ON' and then 'OFF' with every bounce. It will light up two signs at once, spaced a good ways apart, because the 'mirror' tilts up through each one in turn. It is clearly noticeable from other vehicles traveling next to you and behind you....I can see their reactions and finger pointing....the flashing is what does it. If it was steady, it might not be noticed, but with the UNIMOG suspension doing its work, it is a constant ON/OFF flash fest....

Even dirty bug-smeared windshields work well. (I'm just glad we can go fast enough to kill bugs.)

OK, Maybe I am the only one.....but I doubt it.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
You are not alone with the rock catcher lighting up signs from the sun. I’ve had the misfortune of having my rear view doing to drivers behind drive east at sundown. Could t figure what the honking was about till I glanced. Whoops.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yep, noticed exactly the same on our truck. Just used to it now I suppose, but funny that you mention it. Amazing how much light is reflected by a clear windshield!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
That's pretty common phenomenon for square cab Unimogs, I presume.
I found it to be the most noticeable between late September and March, when sun stays close to the horizon.
Seeing those lit road signs on a sunny day always puts a grin on my face.
Having that, while driving on rumble strips - that would be another level of joy.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
So I happened to create this phenomenon yesterday rather by accident and had the thought to capture it.

This is with light to moderate overcast. I’ve had it happen on the drive home (east) with the top off, sun catches the mirror, adjust the mirror and end up panning the beam across the driver behind.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oh yeah, my 404 does the same thing. Wouldn’t want to be on the other end of that “death ray”, that’s for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts