Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 sl300 meticulously maintained has a quirk. After not driving it for 3-4 days, it misses/sputters/occassionally falters to death while driven and is difficult to start. After approx. 5-10 miles, all is forgotten. What gives here?<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, I have a similar problem. Was told it might be the termo-timing switch. which leaves the cold start valve open for too long thereby causing the engine to run rich for a while before it cuts off. A good tell tale sign is the heavy carbon deposit on the spark plugs. Tell me what you find. Cheers : )

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sound like a fuel problem-probably will need a fuel pump accumulator and fuel pump check valve-The accumulator holds fuel pressure in the fuel lines to keep the check valve/ball-in-seat closed-this prevents fuel from draining back to the fuel tank-'CIS' fuel injection systems don't like run/start when air is in the fuel lines

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Ryan, please help. 90 300sl the engine cuts-out while driving at high speeds or stoplights. Sometimes can be driven for weeks and no problem. Then when problem occurs, it seems to happen more often in a short period. Starts with no hesitation, then faulters and shuts off. What gives? The Mb mechanic gives up. Can't seem to find the problem. Runs a diagnostic test and no codes shows up stating the problem, was told that car was fine. 30 yrs experience Mb mechanic can't seem to pin-point the problem, I am saddened. Any views or ideas from you would greatly help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts