Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300E 3.0L 256K MI
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have a 1990 300E 3.0L. 260k+ miles. I was having a problem with misfiring/sputtering a few months ago. I changed the spark plugs ( used Bosch supers copper). No avail. Changed wires and presto!!! Problem solved. Couple days later, it had a slight missing again. It seems to do this after I put gas in (shell, bp, or Mobil premium fuels only thing I use). So I don't know what's going on. Distributor cap and rotor are 4 years old with less than 15k miles on them. Car sat for a couple of months with very little gas. As far as I know fuel filter has never Been changed. Now the car is sputtering/missing after it has warmed up and upon acceleration. When I hit the gas from a standstill it hesitates/sputters and almost shuts off. If I turn the car off, it almost doesn't want to turn on. Should I look into the fuel filter or maybe it's time to change out the coil? OVP? Help!!

Jerrad

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,745 Posts
Jerrad,

Go to the DIY sticky and read the link on "fuel mixture adjustment". In addition, pull the cap and clean all the contacts and the rotor. Change the fuel filter and air filter. You need correct plugs in the car. OEM spec calls for non-resistor, copper core plugs. Three choices....NGK BP6EF, Denso T20 EPU or Bosch F8DC4 (must remove the gasket). None of these is available at any parts store. All are available online and cost less than $2 each.

Good Luck

Jayare

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300E 3.0L 256K MI
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jerrad,

Go to the DIY sticky and read the link on "fuel mixture adjustment". In addition, pull the cap and clean all the contacts and the rotor. Change the fuel filter and air filter. You need correct plugs in the car. OEM spec calls for non-resistor, copper core plugs. Three choices....NGK BP6EF, Denso T20 EPU or Bosch F8DC4 (must remove the gasket). None of these is available at any parts store. All are available online and cost less than $2 each.

Good Luck

Jayare
Thanks! The problem was distributor cap and rotor. I replaced them with OEM Bosch parts. Runs fine now. Did the wires, plugs, cap, rotor and fuel filter all Bosch!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts