1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 312D merceds Sprinter mwb hi roof 3.55t
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Haven't been on in a while!

Yesterday whilst driving on the m25 i noticed the temperature guage crept upt to 100 c before this it has always sat dead on 80 c. I wasn't speeding but had a decent weight of furniture in the back. I put this down to the hot weather and wasn't too worried about it.

However later on that night about 11pm when I was on the m4 with no load doing more than the usual speed again it crept up to 100 and then even 105 so i eased back and turned the heater on full which was unbearable. I have checked for leaks and such but nothing to be seen.

Later today I may try and flush the coolant with some mercedes spec anti freeze.

Do you think this will help?

Is this temperature normal? I have never noticed it before and have had major loads on the back whilst on the motorway for hours before and never had a problem.

Please help I'm supposed to be driving to Spain in a couple of months....

Cheers Jay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im not sure if this problem is the same as yours but with our mercedes 308D Sprinter we find the same thing in the summer time in Australia (30+ Deg Celcious) expecially when the air conditioning is on the temperature will go from 80 to over 100 engine temperature, apparently there is a fix and that is to get a larger core radiator but i have never botherd goin to that trouble to fix the problem, although our other work van is a 412TDI?? model and that has no problems at all as they use a large engine fan and better radiator flow design..

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz Sprinter 312 D argentine
13 Posts
have you checked your thermostate?, buy a new one, take off the old one, put them toghether on a pan with water, turn on the heat, check if the old one opens later then the other or does not open at all

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, i have just finished rebuilding 2 310d sprinter engines that were overheating. They unusually had the same faults, the gasket block side of the water pump housing had corroded. Also the thermostat had set in the closed position at 97o c. The water pump houses to a aluminium block which also houses the thermostat housing. The water obviously was escaping when hot coupled with the thermostat fault. If you require any help check out the link below for details. We use merc star and can also key code.
Deano
Williams Auto Diesels Ltd

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys,
Haven't been on in a while!

Yesterday whilst driving on the m25 i noticed the temperature guage crept upt to 100 c before this it has always sat dead on 80 c. I wasn't speeding but had a decent weight of furniture in the back. I put this down to the hot weather and wasn't too worried about it.

However later on that night about 11pm when I was on the m4 with no load doing more than the usual speed again it crept up to 100 and then even 105 so i eased back and turned the heater on full which was unbearable. I have checked for leaks and such but nothing to be seen.

Later today I may try and flush the coolant with some mercedes spec anti freeze.

Do you think this will help?

Is this temperature normal? I have never noticed it before and have had major loads on the back whilst on the motorway for hours before and never had a problem.

Please help I'm supposed to be driving to Spain in a couple of months....

Cheers Jay
Hi,

Did you find out what was the problem as I have a 412D and have the exact same problem.I removed the thermostat no change.

When I rev the engine with the coolant cap off no bubbles come up until I let it idle then it overflows.

I have heard that it could be an oil cooler??

Thanks,loz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts