Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes S320 CDI 2007
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting more responsiveness from the 430 & looking at options on maybe a remap - before I push the button can someone tell me the difference between the gen1 & gen2 sprint boosters?

I know they look different (physical - who cares) and the gen 2 has the off/stage1/stage2 switching - but what I want to know is where does the gen1 fit in comparison to the 2 stages of the gen 2?

I see myself using the 'stage1' setting on a gen2 - is the gen1 'only' setting similar to this / less aggressive / more aggressive?

See what I mean? Then gen1 is available to me for £85 (uk) and the gen2 £200 (uk) which is more like the charge for a custom remap.

Help me out here you sprintbooster dudes ;-)

Matt

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
One and two fit in the same place on the throttlebody. There's only one place to plug them into. normal setting is like oem. sport has a nice improvement but race responds very quickly and downshifts occurr much quicker than before. there is a little device with a button that plugs into the SB and when you press the button/led, it changes the setting indicated by a color; no color being normal, green being sport, and red being race. to install the SB you have to disconnect the plug that goes into the the throttle body under the hood near the left side firewall, plug the SB into the throttlebody, the throttle cable into the SB and then the selector plugs into the SB.

THE SETTINGS ON A SPRINTBOOSTER HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH A CHIPTUNE/REMAP. THERE IS NO WAY TO COMPARE THEM. THEY DO TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS. GET THAT THROUGH YOU HEAD ALREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chiptune reprograms your ECU. Sprintbooster amplifies the throttle signal. END OF STORY.

·
Registered
Mercedes S320 CDI 2007
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just after a comparison of the gen1 & gen2 sprintbooster's - I understand excatly how they work & have read all the bumf on the companies website.

Specificly - there is just an 'ON' setting on the original sprintbooster, where does this fit in the 3 possible stages of the newer gen2 version?

PS.... it would appear that the exact same throttle mapping that is adjusted by the sprintbooster is adjustable also in the ECU map - so there is PLENTY of overlap. Why so blinkered?

Mat

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
This is another case of the more reading on things you do,the more confusing things get.....From what I could gather a SB makes the car think the pedal is pressed more than it is,but that aside until now I thought that they fit on the pedal itself?...Some places list them for my car and others don't.....Out of curiosity I rang one up and they said you need the plug on the pedal or it can't be fitted. (I have a short cable going to a box on the inner wing and then wires take over) Now this post says that's where they are fitted.........Personally I'd go for the remap...Cheapest SB I've seen is around £185.

·
Registered
Mercedes S320 CDI 2007
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are gen1 available on eBay right now for £85 ish - gen 2 is also up for about £190 ish - so all options are available just now.

I really want to make the right choice ;-)

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
There are gen1 available on eBay right now for £85 ish - gen 2 is also up for about £190 ish - so all options are available just now.

I really want to make the right choice ;-)
I understand what you are saying, a SB will improve the feel of responsiveness but won't gain any possible power or possible MPG that you might get from a remap.......As I said the placement of the SB has now got me confused.

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Buuuck, buck,buck buck,buuck

I understand what you are saying, a SB will improve the feel of responsiveness but won't gain any possible power or possible MPG that you might get from a remap.......As I said the placement of the SB has now got me confused.
Wait up pardoner. Your off and getting even more confused.
First off, applying a signal amplifier (follow me here) doesn't "ADD" Extra power, it allows you to access your total performance the vehicle is capable of.
A signal amplifier WILL GIVE YOU MORE POWER. It allows you to have a faster shift, access more TQ/HP than oem and (again sorry David) I'd love to see how little of a difference there is between a remap and a signal amp'd car in the same scale of condition in real world acceleration.
A 0-60 mph run could show how little the remaps claimed increase is and how small in comparison it is to merly speeding up the DBW and ECU response time.
I believe what's real. Not corporate half truths. Show me the money shot.

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
One and two fit in the same place on the throttlebody. There's only one place to plug them into. normal setting is like oem. sport has a nice improvement but race responds very quickly and downshifts occurr much quicker than before. there is a little device with a button that plugs into the SB and when you press the button/led, it changes the setting indicated by a color; no color being normal, green being sport, and red being race. to install the SB you have to disconnect the plug that goes into the the throttle body under the hood near the left side firewall, plug the SB into the throttlebody, the throttle cable into the SB and then the selector plugs into the SB.

THE SETTINGS ON A SPRINTBOOSTER HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH A CHIPTUNE/REMAP. THERE IS NO WAY TO COMPARE THEM. THEY DO TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS. GET THAT THROUGH YOU HEAD ALREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Chiptune reprograms your ECU. Sprintbooster amplifies the throttle signal. END OF STORY.
Preface to the end of story.

Sprintbooster DOES NOT plug into the throttle body. 1or 2. David, I can tell you haven't read the owners posts or you'd know its the DBW motor it connects to. NOT the throttle body.
David says The settings on a signal amplifier have nothing to do with a remap. UNTRUE
It will allow faster shifts, just like a remap and WILL BRING MORE POWER TO THE TABLE THAN COMPLETLY STOCK.

THERE SURE AS HELL IS A WAY TO COMPARE THEM TO A REMAP.
Private unbiased dyno shop NOT SELLING THE REMAP.
Better yet a 0-60 run.
There's no proof to back up a remap would beat a car without; hooked up with a signal amplifier either.
Lets see some real proof. Not that BS they post on Company sites with a Euro 6 (not euro bashing just a big difference in tuning compared to a North American model).

How bout a North American 430 dyno'd before/after in a well known private shop NOT SELLING REMAPS OR SIGNAL AMPLIFIER ? NO BIAS, just believable data.

·
Registered
Mercedes CLK 230 kompressor
282 Posts
i guess this is child play(remap and sprint boost)..if u really want a "little" bit more power like 30-50 HP start by installing a kompressor with a bit more feel...more money but surely more power...just my oppinon

·
Registered
Mercedes S320 CDI 2007
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thread is getting pulled off course somewhat.

Just a recap - does anyone know the difference in performance between the gen1 & gen2 versions of the sprintbooster?

I know some folks like to argue - I'm just looking to see how the performance of the gen1 fits when compared to a gen2.

Cheers ;-)

·
Registered
02 clk 55 cabriolet
550 Posts
Thread is getting pulled off course somewhat.

Just a recap - does anyone know the difference in performance between the gen1 & gen2 versions of the sprintbooster?

I know some folks like to argue - I'm just looking to see how the performance of the gen1 fits when compared to a gen2.

Cheers ;-)
Tough question because if you have 1, would you really want to spend the money to "try" another? My guess (yes guess) would be the gen 2 bridges the gap between all or nothing and lets you select just how much "vote" you have in the speed dept. For daily driving maybe you would like a little softer feel to those horses. I can only speak for the 55, but I will say that I appreciate the "softer" feel in traffic and on a DD basis. For the 320 im sure it's less noticable so the all or none makes better sence.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
Anyway......Mine has short cable that goes to an electronic box which is between the fuse box and the brake booster....I've looked on the EPC (only briefly) and all the diagrams for 210 E55s show that set up..Yet like I said most places list year 2000 onwards,however a lot list 1997 onwards.......So what's the script?...Does it have to only fit on cars that have no cable at all,or does it fit on the electronic box I just mentioned?

·
Registered
99 clk 430
43 Posts
I too have a 99" 430 and would like to know if the sprint booster willl or will not work on mine? I am confused from reading all the posts about it as some posts say for 2000 up and I've read that even though it does not state it will fit 99" that in fact it will? Can someone please clarify this? I apprciate any clarification in advance:thumbsup:

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
I too have a 99" 430 and would like to know if the sprint booster willl or will not work on mine? I am confused from reading all the posts about it as some posts say for 2000 up and I've read that even though it does not state it will fit 99" that in fact it will? Can someone please clarify this? I apprciate any clarification in advance:thumbsup:
If you don't post your area in your sign on your replies are probably going to be slightly off to horribly wrong.

Research this in our forum. One or more have said yes. Do you have DBW throttle? If so it's a yes. That's the premise behind the whole thing here. Speeding up the electronic signal.

·
Registered
99 clk 430
43 Posts
Thanks Harry! I actually thought I had filled all my info out when I registered. I'll have to check and see if mine is DBW. I hope so!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
99CLK320
1,480 Posts
OK, now I get it.

Thanks for straightening me out Hary. I have seen it many times before and I forget that you are the best at telling other people where they are wrong. I wll be sure to check with you the next time before I try to answer another persons question. You knew what I meant but thanks anyway for your supreme intelligence and vigilance when seeking the truth.

Preface to the end of story.

Sprintbooster DOES NOT plug into the throttle body. 1or 2. David, I can tell you haven't read the owners posts or you'd know its the DBW motor it connects to. NOT the throttle body.
David says The settings on a signal amplifier have nothing to do with a remap. UNTRUE
It will allow faster shifts, just like a remap and WILL BRING MORE POWER TO THE TABLE THAN COMPLETLY STOCK.

THERE SURE AS HELL IS A WAY TO COMPARE THEM TO A REMAP.
Private unbiased dyno shop NOT SELLING THE REMAP.
Better yet a 0-60 run.
There's no proof to back up a remap would beat a car without; hooked up with a signal amplifier either.
Lets see some real proof. Not that BS they post on Company sites with a Euro 6 (not euro bashing just a big difference in tuning compared to a North American model).

How bout a North American 430 dyno'd before/after in a well known private shop NOT SELLING REMAPS OR SIGNAL AMPLIFIER ? NO BIAS, just believable data.

·
Registered
99 clk 430
43 Posts
Harry I filled out my info. As far as reasearching the forums you'll notice in my first post that I had in fact researched the forums on this and thats why i was confused, because some said yes it would work and others said no.. I've been on several forums and know to do my research before posting a question that has been answered a thousand times before. But i did check and mine is infact DBW so i think I'll give it try! I'll report back my personal impressions after I recieve it!;)

·
Registered
Mercedes S320 CDI 2007
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I get it ... someone saw 'sprint booster' in the thread title & decided to start getting picky & shouting people down. Nice ego boosts all round.

Now - back to the question if it isn't too boring / difficult to answer... I sincerely am asking for opinion that is ON TOPIC if possible.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts