Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 300CE
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the difference between the springs the 300CE Coupe and Cabrio? Do they have different compression rates or is the length of the springs themselves that are different?

I ordered a set of lowering springs for my coupe and the dumb f*cks sent me the springs for the cabrio. Now the car sits with the rear too high. I'm trying to decide whether to cut the rear springs to level out the car or to buy a whole other set of springs.

·
Registered
1993 300E, 2003 996 Turbo X50
624 Posts
That makes sense as the top and mechanism is pretty heavy. I'd send them back and get the right ones. You paid for the coupe springs, you shouldn't have to accept the wrong springs. They won't accept returns?

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 300CE
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's a long story behind that. Basically, they agreed to send me the correct springs but in order for me to have found out that the springs were not correct, somebody had to be paid to install them. Someone would again have to be paid to install the correct ones. The company who I bought the springs from refused to refund me any of my purchase to compensate for any of the extra cost, so what I did was dispute the charge with the credit card company on the grounds that I didn't get what I paid for.

So now I essentially got the springs for free. The ride is not bad so I'm thinking of just cutting the rear springs.

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
how long have you had the springs installed on the car for?

if you just installed them, you need to drive on them for a couple hundred miles to get the springs to settle. cut after they settle or else your car will be dumped......unless you want it to be dumped - that would be cool too :D

·
Registered
300CE
92 Posts
I had a similar problem not rear but fronts were too high.
Even spring set was correct one!!
I struggled with H&R and they took sooooo long time for investigation.
Finally I was tired of dealing with them, and cut those off from a professional mechanic.
Result is absolutely fine!
Yours is rear side which is more than fine to cut off.

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 300CE
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how long have you had the springs installed on the car for?

if you just installed them, you need to drive on them for a couple hundred miles to get the springs to settle. cut after they settle or else your car will be dumped......unless you want it to be dumped - that would be cool too :D
They've been on for about 1K miles now. The springs did settle a little but not enough. Like I said, the car doesn't look bad the way it sits now, it just looks ghetto.

·
Registered
300 CE 24V Sportline
917 Posts
Springs are very specific and must match your car's spec. The more options, the heavier the car. There's a points system in which even a radio adds 1 point.

MB will supply the correct springs from your VIN. Bilstein, H&R and others apply the points system too.

It pays to get it right.

RayH

·
Registered
1993 300E, 2003 996 Turbo X50
624 Posts
Since you disputed the charge anyway, why not get the right springs? I'd buy the right ones, install them and sell the cabrio springs. I'm sure someone on here would buy them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts