Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Benz 420SEL, BMW 325ic Euro
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, I found a pair of front H&R springs on flea bay, and I am going to have them installed. Question I have is the "nub" things at the top of the springs. How many Nubs usually come with the stock springs? I gather 2 Nubs is preferred. If I only install front springs will I be causing any issues with cornering/ breaking?
I think that's it.
Anyhow thanks everyone
Geoff

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,432 Posts
You'd need some nubbage in there rather than none. You could just have 1 nub pads if thats the height you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
I just swapped the front springs on my 420SEL from standard with 4 nub to a pair of H&R lowered sports springs using the same 4 nub shims.
The H&R lowered sports springs [Part No 29559]

I got it done in 4 hours using the genuine MB spring compression tool and IMO it can be a lethal job using anything else. [WARNING-USE THE CORRECT TOOL FOR THIS JOB]
I then got a wheel alignment and took the car for a spirited drive up and down a twisty coast road nearby.

IMO the front end is MUCH better. The car has better transition around the corners as the centre of gravity is lower and the spring rate is much harder. I didn't even experience any scrapping at all, even though I have chrome wheel arches [notorious for catching the tyres]. We had some very high winds this afternoon and a high speed run along the freeway gave me none of the light wandering in the front end that cross winds between trees normally give.

All up I'm wrapped with the result:thumbsup:

Here is a pic of the difference in the look
Before

After

PS- I also got the windows tinted!

Cheers

·
Registered
1991 Benz 420SEL, BMW 325ic Euro
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Springs

Well I looked inside the springs today and I think I noticed 4 Nubs. Now if I install the my H&R's it should come out the same as yours. Which would be perfect! I tried before to take the springs out with an old spring compressor kit I had and it could have been deadly. So I'm letting my mechanic have all the joy on this one. I wasn't too sure about tinting but your looks good too, might have to rethink that.
Thanks for the pics. Really helped to see what I was getting into.
Geoff

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,432 Posts
Andrew, perfect, what a difference. And perfect tint too, classy :)

How do some of them end up stupidly high like that anyway? Mine was the same, bizarre. It had that 'engine is out' look about it before its lowered.

·
Premium Member
87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
1,575 Posts
Hey Geoff & Ian,
Thanks for the kind comments fellas:thumbsup:

Well I looked inside the springs today and I think I noticed 4 Nubs. Now if I install the my H&R's it should come out the same as yours. Which would be perfect!
Just make sure they are the same Part No as mine!

I wasn't too sure about tinting but your looks good too, might have to rethink that.
Thanks for the pics. Really helped to see what I was getting into.
Geoff
I'm building a new garage so my SEL has been out in the weather for the past 9 months. The tint was always coming, I just wish I'd done it earlier rather than wait until summer, as the last 3 days have had temperatures of 42, 39 and 36 Deg Celsius.

How do some of them end up stupidly high like that anyway? Mine was the same, bizarre. It had that 'engine is out' look about it before its lowered.
My rear SLS was dialed down an inch. I was debating whether or not to dial it back up, of lower the front.
I'm now very glad I just lowered the front.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts