Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
G55 AMG
93 Posts
Here is my car with 4 bump front pads front and 1 bump rear. Tires are 225 50 16F and 245 45 16R. I agree, every single car seems to be different, so there is some trial and error while fitting pads.

And I agree with Ianrandom, the raked look just looks plain silly.

Look at the original AMG cars from the 80s from the factory for the correct stance.

·
Registered
1985 300d
42 Posts
It is my opinion that the 2 or 3 nub pads will be the way to go, and the car will settle in a few days. The shocks up front may not be sturdy enough to prevent rubbing or bottoming. Too can give your tires a meat slicer effect, YMMV

3 nubs eibach and HD shocks
Any chance you know what shim size to use for the shim that goes on the top portion of the spring?

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,270 Posts
u gotta stick you neck under the car and see what u have, there are many sizes

·
Registered
1985 300d
42 Posts
u gotta stick you neck under the car and see what u have, there are many sizes
Regardless of what ever nub shim combination my car has in its stock/factory set up, I’m going with this set up on my ‘89 420SEL. Bilstein comfort shocks, H&R Springs, 2 nub shims up front and 3 nub in the back. What I’m not sure about is what nub shims to use for the top of the springs both front and back to go with this bottom 2 nub front / 3 nub back set up.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,182 Posts
The shims are only used on the top of the springs. The bottom is metal to metal into cups on the control arms. Take a look at some pics in the manual and you'll see.

·
Registered
1985 300d
42 Posts
The shims are only used on the top of the springs. The bottom is metal to metal into cups on the control arms. Take a look at some pics in the manual and you'll see.
Got it. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I thought that the shims went on both the top side and bottom of the springs. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
249 Posts
glad this old thread was resurrected. I have a 2 nub pad on the top front springs and 14mm shims on the bottom. It is riding high in the front (leaping Jaguar?) and has not settled yet. Car has new Lesjofor springs and Bilstein B4 (I know, I know) shocks. Should I remove the shims? Looks like it.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,200 Posts
Guys, just be careful since when you lower the car, whether it fits or not also depends on what wheels you have, the offset and of course the tires. I have 17" wheels and two nubs with HR springs and with ET of 11 and it will rub occasionally on the passenger side. I have dog eared spoilers which also adds a small amount to the issue.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,182 Posts
glad this old thread was resurrected. I have a 2 nub pad on the top front springs and 14mm shims on the bottom. It is riding high in the front (leaping Jaguar?) and has not settled yet. Car has new Lesjofor springs and Bilstein B4 (I know, I know) shocks. Should I remove the shims? Looks like it.
Stewpot, are you sure you have shims on the bottom? Could you turn the wheels to full lock and take a pic?

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
249 Posts
ok, another doofus moment. No shims on the bottom. Metal to metal contact. 2 nub pad on top. Still riding about an inch to high but seems to be settling s l o w l y. Going to look at back suspension next to gauge if its sunk a bit.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts