Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
And, also......a word to the wise.

IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE CARS then you should jack up each side, remove the wheels and have a good "look see" at this particular area. The rust may not be readily visible (it'll be largely covered over with body elastometric spray coating) but you can take a small phillips-head screw driver and do some probing. IF YOUR rust has not progressed to the point of no return but you do have some rust then remove as much of the spray coating as you can, back to clean metal and get you some "rust converter" spray and give it a really good coverage with this then cover THAT with a really good coating of "undercoating" spray. Try to scrape all the rust off, of course, before YOU apply the rust eater spray. AND, NATURALLY, MAKE SURE THAT YOUR CAR IS ON GOOD JACK STANDS AND NOT JUST HELD UP WITH THE REGULAR JACK WHETHER OR NOT IT IS A M-B JACK OR A FLOOR JACK, DO NOT EVER WORK ON THE UNDERSIDE OF ANY THING WITHOUT PROPER JACK STANDS IN GOOOOOD CONDITION! If you do not know how to properly jack up the car and install the jack stands,
TURN AROUND, RAISE YOUR HANDS, PLACE THEM ON TOP OF YOUR HEAD AND BACK AWAY SLOOOOOWLY!:surrender:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Interesting thing is that your perch hasn't started pulling away from the body yet.
Take a look again, it's a bloody nightmare. I have to go to the boneyard today and have the entire area cut from another vehicle, then I will cut out all of what you see in these pictures, and weld in the new piece.

The problem with this design is the undercoating they sprayed on there. Water gets in there somehow and just sits and eats it away. As I had read the posting that's in front of this one, do as he says. Pull that coating back and poke around. You can see on the right hand side of the darker picture the clean bare metal that was under the undercoating spray.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Now with better pictures, I can see how badly rusted yours is. It also appears that your spring perch is also rusted up through the cup. Amazing.

As poorly executed as this aspect of the 124 is, the fact that they can look like this and still not launch the spring is about the only positive thing I can think of.

Here is a link to my situation.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1593755-rare-front-spring-perch-failure-89-a.html

FWIW, the situation in photograph one (upper left) is ghastly considering the spring is not fully extended, its bowing out toward the camera, and the spring perch could let go at any time... "don't try this at home kids"

·
Registered
79 Posts
Spring Perch Adventure

Here we go fellas, you should enjoy these pictures. And this is only the second part of the process. I still have to take the other one off the car.
I shouldn't have to advise you NOT to use a torch on your "keeper" vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
After having seen the pics..........

.....showing the completely rusted through spring perch, I concur. You had no choice but to replace the entire perch and the surrounding area. Just out of curiosity what did the wrecking yard charge you for the piece? And, take some pics of the re-assembly/installation if you would be so kind.

·
Registered
79 Posts
$50 at the junkyard.

Here are some more. I had to drill out just about every spot weld to get the "mask" off the frame. As you can see it was attached to the frame. I took the Spring Perch "mask" section and then replaced it in the exact position as the other. Tomorrow I will weld it in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a '99 E430 and the right front spring perch just broke off and my spring fell out. I brought it to the local dealership and MBUSA covered 100% of the cost!!!! I was so relieved!
Wow that's amazing? Was it because it was recalled so they covered 100% of the cost? Was the car still under warranty when you get it 100% covered by dealer? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
mrtalkradio,
I also tip my hat to you.
If it was me, I dont know that I could have made such a commitment.
I woulda started a seach for a new one. And kept the first one as a parts car.

Last week I hand to do a ball joint inspection to be sure, tomorrow it will be this.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts