Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front passenger side spring perch just let go, the spring fell to the ground, my front lower air damn cracked, and my tire was jammed under the fender. It wasn't pretty. Fortunately I wasn't going fast when it happened. I was towed to my Indy and he said it isn't uncommon for a Benz. They said they have done welding like this before and would get back to me.

It was a rust thing, I guess, since I could clearly see rusty torn metal up under the car where the perch ripped off. I will let you guys know how much it costs to get fixed.

Just a word to the wise, I think everyone should take a close look at their spring perches if the live in an area where there is winter snow and salt.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about it. I would appreciate it if you would keep us posted. I thought the '96 and up E series had this problem but apparently M/B managed to get the defect into the otherwise bulletproof 124s. I hope your Indy can do a nice fabrication job in there and put this right for you.

By the way, that's a beautiful car.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Wow, that's the first time I've heard of this happening in the 124 chassis. This is more typically associated with the 210--though their issues aren't necessarily due to rust. I think the group would love to see pics, if possible.

·
Registered
278 Posts
wow, Ken, that's crazy. i'm glad you're safe.
so, was it the spring perch on the lower control arm? if so, why not just replace the entire control arm?
pics please.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A photo would be nice, but I didn’t have a camera or even a phone with a camera at the time of the issue. I may go try to get a picture on Friday, if the shop is open. It really would be nice to have a photo.

It was the upper perch. The thing that holds the rubber cup just ripped right off of my car. I was going 5mph in town and I do not drive like a wild man, almost ever. The only time I really went crazy in the car was a few years ago when I was angry about having so many issues cropping up at 100k miles. I now have 116k miles. Car is second owner, but I have had the car for 11 years. It had about 16K when I purchased the car. I was hit once in the backside of the car. It cost about $3500 to fix the rear fender and door, but the front was not damaged.

I have also been wondering if lowering springs may contribute to this kind of failure. I have Eibach springs. I have had them for about 6 years. I know others get springs, but my impression is that many with lowering springs have not owned the cars for all that long. It just seems that a stiffer spring may be harder on the perch.

I am also wondering if 1995 W124 was more like a W210 in some ways. Maybe the bean counters were already at work on my car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
"It just seems that a stiffer spring may be harder on the perch"

Seems like physics is speaking with a transfer of energy thing. The when a load is applied to the stiffer example, instead of absorbing the force, it could transfer energy and increase the load at the perch.

These babies have survived lots-O stress and wear over time where this type of failure could be considered acceptable, tho unfortunate.

Hard driving with stiff suspension components breaks stuff. I've demonstrated this many times with off-road hobbies.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Hey - what's your location? I checked mine just today as I'm about to switch to my snows. Even tho my indy assured me it's much more common on the 210s, the dealership parts counter guy said he has a lot of people asking about the part. That's scientific enough for me. Check them every season!

·
Registered
23 Posts
300E 4MATIC passenger side spring purch fixed at the dealer

I've owned the car for over 4.5 years and been monitering the passenger side spring purch. The car had only 69K when bought in 2004, now it has 129k. The car is from Michigan and was there for about 16 years until I moved to Maryland this summer. It started out with little rust about 4 years ago and became large enough that I would not drive it anymore. Finally took it to the dealer and was quoted $1,900. MBUSA said there was a recall, however, my VIN was not part of it.

I'll post the pictures of before, during fix, and after fixed. The dealer in Virginia did a wonderfull job.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Ouch! I think this is the first time I have heard of a 124 with this failure. As Casey said, this is a common problem on the 210 chassis, but not the 124. Did the car spend several years in the snow belt? My guess is that the problem is related to rust & corrosion, not that this is a valid excuse of course. Some pictures would be great, if you can get them...

:sawzall:

·
Registered
108 Posts
It happened to my friends 87 300D in Germany. It was due to rust/salty roads. But there the repair has to be Tuev approved when finished. Be careful, that is a big load.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a '99 E430 and the right front spring perch just broke off and my spring fell out. I brought it to the local dealership and MBUSA covered 100% of the cost!!!! I was so relieved!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have also been wondering if lowering springs may contribute to this kind of failure. I have Eibach springs. I have had them for about 6 years. I know others get springs, but my impression is that many with lowering springs have not owned the cars for all that long. It just seems that a stiffer spring may be harder on the perch.
Wow, I had not heard of this kind of failure. Glad you were going slow at the time. I have had lowered AMG suspension on my '88 300E since it was new with no issues at 300,000, but I'm going to check now.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have a '99 E430 and the right front spring perch just broke off and my spring fell out. I brought it to the local dealership and MBUSA covered 100% of the cost!!!! I was so relieved!
I find it incredible, but don't get me wrong, I believe you, that a company, today, would cover the cost of a failure on a ten year old car.

I mean...wow.

This...this right here, is why I would rather have a 15-25 year old Mercedes than a brand-new Kia/Hyundai/Suzuki/Mitsubishi/GM/Ford.

I'd throw Chrysler in there, but I'd love to have a 300 or a Challenger SRT-8.

Honda and Toyota...while horribly boring, in most cases, tend to be indestructible.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Honda and Toyota...while horribly boring, in most cases, tend to be indestructible.
You would be surprised actually!
I've owned a '95 Accord DX with a 5 speed and that was by far the funnest piece of crap I have ever driven. Although, I'm 16, so what would I know. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to thread..yea, um, spring perches on my car are checking out AOK.

·
Registered
16 Posts
just did the right front perch 145 for the part 10 hours putting it in! 250k on chassis

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
These sorts of rust related issues make me appreciate living on the left coast, where salt is rarely applied to the roads

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi! over here we have salt and winter roads so that problem is common here.
The original part is just spot welded, so we usually do som extra welding or reinforcement pieces when fixing the problem.
Usually one side fails and then both sides are fixed :)
That is what I had done. The Indy completely welded the new perch and then welded all around the old perch. It cost a couple hundred at my Indy. If I had another W124 and it was from a place with winter snow and salt, I think I would have the spring perches welded before there was any sign of trouble. It could have been a catastrophic failure, if it had not happened when I was going so slow in town. It gives you pause when you read about guys going 100 mph+ in their aging W124s. I hope they don't end up dead or kill someone else.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts