Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
E420, E300, 560SL
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had a chance to remove hardtop this weekend.

Canvas top is in great shape, but plastic rear windows are very very cloudy.

Any suggestions on a cleaning method or agent.

Or, is it possible and feasible to just have the plastic replaced; not the whole top, just the plastic.

Much appreciated,

Michael

·
Registered
1985 500 SL, 2001 E430, 1998 SL500
10 Posts
I finally had a chance to remove hardtop this weekend.

Canvas top is in great shape, but plastic rear windows are very very cloudy.

Any suggestions on a cleaning method or agent.

Or, is it possible and feasible to just have the plastic replaced; not the whole top, just the plastic.

Much appreciated,

Michael
I had excellent luck with a tip I picked up from another member. Take a very clean, white bar towel that is pure cotton and a can of WD40. Spray a little on the towel and wipe gently in small circles and keep turning the towel. It should make the window much clearer.

Attachments

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Please make the world a favour and remove the plastic spoiler!

Please make the world a favour and remove the plastic spoiler!

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 500 SL, 2001 E430, 1998 SL500
10 Posts
Thanks, but. . .

From the reference book that I have, the car came stock with the spoiler and I wouldn't want to alter that on my 500.

Is it that you just don't like the way it looks? I'm interested in why you feel so strongly about it.

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,742 Posts
Plastic

[:)]Hi, Michael,

Yes, it is possible and feasible to just replace the plastic. I had one of the panes (RH) replaced on my 560SL. I have one more if you are interested. The side ones are identical so it doesn't matter whether you need the right or the left one. Any shop that works with convertibles can install it for you. Let me know if you want the part.

Ike

P. S. I have no knowledge of any cleaning agent that can "defog" a plastic window. I think, once they fog up, that's it.

Ike

86 560SL w/77K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts