Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 clk500
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bad news, the spring perch kinda rusted and fell off. i thought it was only an issue with the w210 guess i was WRONG. see pics below. Glad we weren't driving on the highway. Will mercedes cover the repair? this is a 1998 c230 with over 120k. any help would be appreciated as of now the car is still sitting in the mall parking lot. Should i tow it home or to the dealer or some independent mechanic to fix?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Im sorry to hear! I would tow this to the dealer and show them what the hell happened...worth a shot there first although it will be a battle to get them to pay for anything!

Looking at the last pic though...your car is badly rusted to start with! These cars MUST be rustproofed every year if winter driven otherwise its worse than a Honda in terms of its metal.

Although, im wondering if rustproofing would help with this spring perch issue?

·
Registered
2004 clk500
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sorry to hear! I would tow this to the dealer and show them what the hell happened...worth a shot there first although it will be a battle to get them to pay for anything!

Looking at the last pic though...your car is badly rusted to start with! These cars MUST be rustproofed every year if winter driven otherwise its worse than a Honda in terms of its metal.

Although, im wondering if rustproofing would help with this spring perch issue?
we will probably have the dealer check it out first, see what they say. They fixed my catalytic converter on my e class at no charge.

it was my sister's car so i wasn't there when it happened. she was with my mom. Glad they are ok. rust is really bad problem with mercedes. my e class has rust, the s class has rust and the c class is the worst of all. i think my e class have the same suspension design as this. It looks poorly design. i would at least weld some support on top of the perch making it stronger. Plus it looks like most of the time its rusting inside out, when you know it too late.

i live in maine and lots of salted roads here in the winter. so i am not sure how to go about rustproofing. i spot lots of c class up here with rust all over, its common. i try to repair the rust spots i see on my e with POR-15 but new spots will show up. if all body parts were made of plastic it would be rust free.

·
Registered
'99 2.3L Kompressor
1,944 Posts
I would not be surprised if MB tries to deny things because of the age and all of the other rust you have going on under there. MB is pretty ruthless when it comes to out of warranty claims.

An indy will be a lot cheaper. I would call around and find one that has experience changing these out. It is quite common on the C and E Class cars of this age. Bottom line is I am afraid you may have to pay two tow charges if you start by going to the stealership first.

Just one person's opinion...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts