Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

After your consultation I removed the rear wheel to see the number of pins on the rear spring rubber.. I didnt even know what i was looking for but now its pretty clear i think.
it seems like my car has rubbers with 2 pins on both front and rear.
this was not good news for me [:(] since the best i can do is install 1-pin rubbers .. so i will only gain (or should that be lose) about 5mm according to a PDF i have! [:(]

is this right or am i missing something? is there anything else i can do? can i leave the rubbers out and install the springs without rubbers? [:D]

attached pls fine pics for Front and Rear respectively and also pics to show how frighteningly high she currently sits, especially the front!

any comments or suggestions will be v. appreciated! [:)]

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
.......it seems like my car has rubbers with 2 pins on both front and rear.

OK

this was not good news for me [:(] since the best i can do is install 1-pin rubbers .. so i will only gain (or should that be lose) about 5mm according to a PDF i have! [:(]

1 pin? isn't that too low?

is this right or am i missing something? is there anything else i can do? can i leave the rubbers out and install the springs without rubbers? [:D]

No. Of course not.

attached pls fine pics for Front and Rear respectively and also pics to show how frighteningly high she currently sits, especially the front!

any comments or suggestions will be v. appreciated!

I use 2 pins in front and 3 pins on the rear. I think the rear must have more pins for the sake of comfortness. Doing this makes my car looks even ground clearance between front and rear.

Oh well, nevermind. Here is the pics. No stone in the trunk![:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont get it.. mine is on 2-pin rubbers front and back and mine looks higher than yours!
that is why i want 1-pin rubbers, to make it lower!

or is it just me? doesnt your car look lower? look at the pic of the front of my car :(

btw sorry for the current condition of my car, but i just cut all the rust and replaced both front wings.. as i said before, full respray mid-march [:D]

I really cant understand how my car is so high, is it possible that my springs are different.. my dad had said something about him ordering special suspension for countries with bad roads when he ordered it... i dunno, maybe they had higher springs or something!

[:(]

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i just ordered the front 1-notch rubbers this morning from the Maltese MB agent. (will take 3 weeks to egt here though :( ) the salesguy was amazed, he said they had never ever sold any 1-notch rubbers, he said i will be the 1st one in Malta [:D]

i don't get it really, every w123 i see is clearly lower than mine from the front, i am suspecting that mine has something which is making it higher... but what can it be? [|)]
i have springs with red coloring, if that helps!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
banflu - 2/25/2005 8:27 AM

my dad had said something about him ordering special suspension for countries with bad roads when he ordered it...
[:(]
It seems you might have springs to increase the height of the car, obviously for the conditions of the road.

Here is a thread that might help:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?threadid=16595&highlight=123

And here is your first thread about it, maybe it could give you another insight:

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1196443&posts=19&hl=lowering+spring

Also, it seems that Coupe's original springs are black. The left is the original, the right is his lowered H&R one. If yours are red, then they're different:

If the road conditions are really bad, like others have said--don't lower it. You'll risk busting the oil pan and do more damage. Perhaps a gravel pan is also in order...if you decide to lower it, even a little.

·
Registered
1981 200 (W123)
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Karugs [:)]

i dont know if my springs are actually different from standard or not. i asked my dad again and he said that he had ordered the special suspension for countries with poor roads.. but he said he cannot be sure if it is actually equipped with this suspension or not. and also i did not find a code on the log book for this option.. even though i am not sure which code it is supposed to be :)

my spring is not all red, it is black but with a red dab of paint on the first spring lap. it seems that there are red or blue striped springs. i do not know the difference between one and another.

maybe i can check the part number of the spring (i assume it is printed on the spring?) and compare it with the PDF i have of all the possible spring combinations, and see which version i have.

that thread is interesting :)

someone mentioned ventura springs.. anyone here use them? Jake maybe? What do you guys think of them? they are much cheaper than H&Rs! I would have got H&Rs but i am afraid they are too expensive, i really cannot afford them right now! but maybe the ventura...
i am thinking about the springs again cause on that thread they said that 5mm difference in the spring pad will only change the height by 7mm :( which is nothing to what i need! :(

·
Registered
1980 280te 1979 Rabbit D 1969 Triumph T100C
1,406 Posts
... can i bring this back? Does anyone know how to locate/count these "tabs" Until i can figure out the lowering spring/shock mess i would like to try to fit the shorter spacers. For sure not safe to run NO spacer?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts