Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL500 R129
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I decided to water proof the soft top and thought I might share the job seeing as it was so much fun!
I used Genuine Mercedes "Convertible impregnating-spray" it was around $25 for the can and it's only good to do one job.

I first vacuumed the top with the soft-bristle attachment to get rid of all the dust etc.
Then came the fun job of masking up all the windows and covering the entire car as not to get any over-spray on the paint work. This was the longest part of the job!
I used a good 3m masking tape that came off very easily and left no residue, I would really recommend using the good stuff as it makes the clean up so much easier and given you don't do this everyday it's well worth the couple of extra dollars.

Once the car was covered I sprayed the top with one light coat, waited 2 min (as per instructions) and then hit it with the second coat, I nearly made it all the way but the can ran dry, I had bought 2 cans and just quickly finished of the last patch with the new can. Now that I've done it once though I could do it with exactly one can next time, it was just a bit deceiving how the can ran dry from feeling like there was still a little left, so if you do use one can I recommend keeping the coats light to make sure you get full coverage for the second coat.

The last pic shows the white haze on top after you spray it and it's drying. It looks like icing sugar in the pic. It took an hour or so to clear.
I did this in the garage with door open for good ventilation.
I wouldn't do this totally outside even though it is better for fumes because the wind will make it harder to get a good coat and you don't want anything falling on the top mid way!

I've heard of people using non-merc products for this with success but as this is such an occasional thing to do and the labor involved far out weighs the cost of the spray I would really try to use the genuine spray to be sure of a good result! :)

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,859 Posts
Very good and useful topic which we can now use as a reference, nice job :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,225 Posts
This I would recommend to everyone. I did the same but used a generic product from a boat chandlers used on boat canvas tops. $20 for 1 litre and enough for several applications. I brushed it on so no need to mask as long as you are careful. Appart from the chemical smell for a couple of days the result was truly impressive. Water beads up and flies of now where before it soaked it up.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,166 Posts
This I would recommend to everyone. I did the same but used a generic product from a boat chandlers used on boat canvas tops. $20 for 1 litre and enough for several applications. I brushed it on so no need to mask as long as you are careful. Appart from the chemical smell for a couple of days the result was truly impressive. Water beads up and flies of now where before it soaked it up.
I think the marine product is a good idea as the boats canvas are subject to the elements round the clock, rain or shine (unless you have a boat house), they should hold up better than the MB stuffs. And cheaper too.

·
Registered
2002 SL500 Silver Arrow (Sold May 2019 after 11 1/2 years)
198 Posts
I've used the Autoglym Cabriolet Fabric Hood Cleaning Kit on the Z3 and now the SL with good success. Each spring I have a fellow detail all my cars (he spends the day at the house) and he uses this product. once more mid-summer I'll spray again. About the only time my drop-tops get wet is during washing, but I still like to know they are well-protected. I do like the write up by the OP - well done and certainly worth the small amount of time involved.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,409 Posts
I think the marine product is a good idea as the boats canvas are subject to the elements round the clock, rain or shine (unless you have a boat house), they should hold up better than the MB stuffs. And cheaper too.
I used the marine stuff too.
Like you said cheaper/better, it is still holding after two years.
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
Please post the manufacturer of choice for the marine stuff. Thanks.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,409 Posts
Please post the manufacturer of choice for the marine stuff. Thanks.
Just for you Mike.
I had to move my rear end from the computer to the garage and back.
303 High Tech fabric guard.
I got it locally from
westmarine.com
They may have a branch where you are.
Did you fix the problem with the transmission adjusting cable?
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did any of these treatments change the color of the top? Besides waterproofing, I'd like to make my top blacker. It's faded to a black/grey over time, but looks great when wet with water. Does the top get darker when you spray the protectant on? If so, does it remain dark when it dries?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,166 Posts
WestMarine also owns PortSupply which sells worldwide. Both can be ordered online. PortSupply may have a better price but may require a wholesale account?

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,225 Posts

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,409 Posts

·
Registered
1993/94 SL600 2004 Porsche 911(996) 2000 VW Golf 2.0
37 Posts
Nice job sp3000. I used the same MB product last year and have been very happy with it-water still beads up on the top as if it was waxed. You are right about the masking-it takes the longest but is worth doing properly. Thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
1999 SL500 R129
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Greg,
Nice to hear from a local Sydney-sider. I'll have to look out for your car on the road!
Sam.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts