Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the local Ace hardware store with my son today. Pulled into the lot and headed for the empty space closest to the entrance.

As I closed in I realized that i would be parking next to a bright red 124. Then it got better when I saw the 400E on the trunk lid. <drool>

The owner was sitting in it and I talked to him briefly. Big guy. Huge, actually, LOL. Parchment leather interior, just over 100k miles. He's had it about a year and loves it. Big surprise, huh?

Gotta be a fairly rare car. Not a terible lot of 400E models built and red wasn't exactly the most desirable color for most people. Me, I'd *love* to have it. With private school tuition for 1 kid this year and 2 next year... fuggeddaboudit <sigh>

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
There's another way to look at this. With one kid in private school this year and two next year, that means THIS YEAR is the better year to find one. ;-)

I think you would really like a 400e except you will miss all the storage space your TE's have.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Maybe, but the torque is great.
I am thankful to MB for demonstrating mercy on my sanity by avoiding V8s in Coupes and Wagons. If they had even brought 500 of either to this country, good ones could be found still marginally easily.

Doubt I could recover from this temptation, :surrender:
so thanks MB, :thumbsup:
it's for the best, I tell ya.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't remember her being a lawyer. I do remember some other things about her though...

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
"The Finale" — Jackie represents George, Elaine, Jerry and Kramer when they violate the Good Samaritan law. Despite losing the case, he gets some satisfaction in sleeping with Sidra (from "The Implant"), which would have been more satisfying if the jury had not reached a decision so quickly. His last line in the series is the same as Sidra's line about her breasts from the aforementioned episode: "And by the way: they're real, and they're spectacular!"

Thanks Wikipedia..where would we be without you.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Damn you Aguapfel. This thread caused me to lapse into 'car fantasy mode', never a sensible place to be as you are all aware. I thought I'd be safe this time - 400E's were not sold in the UK, no right-hand drive cars were built. But then I accidentally searched for one, and found this. I... LIKE IT. Just when I was getting on perfectly happily with my wagon. Thanks.

RARE ! W124 400E For Sale (1992) on Car And Classic UK

·
Registered
662 Posts
I suppose you think this is funny, Mick?

Ok, it is funny. But if I accidentally call the vendor tomorrow to ask the price, I will now hold you partially responsible if I accidentally buy it and ruin my marriage.

It's like showing a recovering alcoholic an amusing picture of a cold beer on a hot day. And, have you any idea how much petrol costs here? (It's similar to gas, but much more expensive.) Where's your pity, man?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Tell the wife you got her a really nice Xmas present, she'll let you be her chauffeur and you'll both be really happy.

A guy I know bought one locally and paid $3250, crazy inexpensive for a car in really great shape. If the wiring harness wasn't swapped though, give it a pass.

The picture I posted was the first I've seen in Va. Beach, WOW, these cars really are nice. Let us know what the price is on the one in your post.

FYI, here is an ebay "beater". I talked to the seller, somebody got a great deal from a straight shooter. (Check out the sold for price!)

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
Mick D... well, I never called about that car. It may well go for a bargain price - I can't remember seeing any saloon make above £5000 here for a couple of years and a good E320 is only £2000 at the moment, or even less. That car's grey import / left hander status will count against it too whatever the vendor's dreaming of. Trouble is, I've spent the last 6 months and quite a bit of money bringing my estate back to spec. I can't have 2 cars, so I'm not going to torture myself over this monster, no matter how much fun that thing would be. I'm going to hold out a while longer for my dream 124, a cabriolet... now that's a Christmas present my wife would genuinely appreciate.

For a minute there I was all set to test drive it, too...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts