Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 280
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Just teetering on the brink with this one. The starting point will be the 280. Homealone (morning Gary) is advising me big time to avoid at all costs the S/S. I have driven, last September, a 200 with S/S and upgrade 17" wheels and it felt liveable with. This week I drove a 350 with S/S and the upgrade AMG 18" wheels and it was awful. The suspension that is, the car was something else.

To those without?. How does the car "look"? i.e. a bit perched?.

To those with?. how does that look? i.e. more squat?. What is the dimensional difference twixt the two?.

Bear in mind I am from the north of England, UK, and the roads round here are far from pool table smooth.

Cheers.

·
Registered
350SLK AMG (2005)
47 Posts
if ur looking for a less bumpy ride then go standard, however with sports suspension the car looks and rides like a sports car especially with AMG kit. i have sports package and find it to be excellent, only on occasion when racing round corners and hitting a pot hole do u realise you have rubber band tyers (massive thud, thought i hit something) but the car is built for it so no prob and no damage.

looks better with sports suspension.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
I have the 350 standard 17" wheels and sports suspension. No way is it too hard IMO, firm yes, hard no. I would not have it softer. No idea what the drop is, but the feel of the car is good.

It sounds like you had in your 350 drive was more to do with the 18" wheels. I am driving in and around London, we have variable road quality, I just wince a bit when I go over a drain or pothole and probably make more effort to avoid them than others.

·
Registered
slk 350
116 Posts
I have the sport suspension without the AMG kit. It wasn't on my desired options list, but at Xmas when a pre-ordered car became available with everything else I wanted, I took it. It's definitely a mixed bag in my opinion.

I agree with the previos posts: it really does make the car feel and handle like a sports car...quite a change from my previous cars, the Jag XK8 and XKR. It feels like it's on rails when cornering.

However, it is brutal on bad roads. As the previous poster said, if you hit a bad pothole (we have many here) you'll think you just demolished that wheel. And I live off dirt roads which are simply impossible in the SLK most of the time, so I have to take circuitous routes...not always a bad thing in this car.

Bottom line: if I had it to do over, I wouldn't choose it, but I've learned to live with it. My advice is to see if you can test drive the sport suspension on your local roads. And if you decide to get it anyway, make sure your dental plan is paid up as you will be losing quite a few fillings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts