Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search, didn't find anything. My car came with H&R springs installed. It's too low for me, I'm getting some pads to raise it some. But I'm curious how the Sportline springs compare with the H&R springs, and if it would be worthwhile to get the Sportline springs? Whichever I get, I will use with Koni shocks. Right now it has stock shocks, which is a poor combo with lowered springs.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Yeah, I'd try the taller spring pads before investing in Sportline springs. I'm running H&Rs with Bilstein Sports (yellow) struts up front on my wagon, and H&Rs with whatever Bilsteins (black) that came with the car, and in both cases they're a nice combo. I've heard that H&R and Sportline share similar spring rates, though the heights may be slightly different.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I tried HRs, B&Gs and Eibachs, from mild to significant drops.

I've now swapped my cars to sportline height. i like the ride and comfort at Sportline height, and will settle for the more mild visual improvement.

Started out driving several cars with the different springs. I noticed that when a 200 mile road trip came up on short notice, I opted for the Sportline. Thought about it and moved the wagon from LOW HRs to Sportline. Loved the car much more when driving.

So decided to do same to the Cab.

Benz did this well, the Sportline springs retain the car as you know it and love it.

Opinions vary, but mine sounds like yours. :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've now swapped my cars to sportline height. i like the ride and comfort at Sportline height, and will settle for the more mild visual improvement.
Did the H&R's feel firmer than the Sportline's with the same shocks? I have a BMW for sporty feel, so for me CE I want a sport/touring feel, as the car is intended for commuting and longer trips. I'm wondering how the H&R's would feel raised a bit vs just getting Sportline.

I don't care much about lowering, I think these cars don't look right lowered too much.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Best I can describe is good, tight handling and low cg, but rough ride where roads are less friendly. And I am on such roads often.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
H&R comes in 2 varieties, for those have posted experiences about H&R springs should probable note which ones they used as well as engine (weight).

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best I can describe is good, tight handling and low cg, but rough ride where roads are less friendly. And I am on such roads often.
I assume you are describing the H&R's. How are the Sportlines on the same roads in comparison?

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I assume you are describing the H&R's. How are the Sportlines on the same roads in comparison?
The Sportline springs are much more comfortable on the Pocono mountain PA roads that I run often while maintaining the tighter sense of control. NOT equally firm as the HRs, but that is why I changed.

I was using the lesser of the HR drops, 1.5" not the 2" drop version.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Sportline springs are much more comfortable on the Pocono mountain PA roads that I run often while maintaining the tighter sense of control. NOT equally firm as the HRs, but that is why I changed.
Sounds like Sportlines are the way to go. How much do the Sportlines drop the car vs the H&R's?

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
The Sportlines are "only" a 1/2" drop. That seems minuscule, but, I run 2 stock height 124s daily too and there is a clear sporty improvement from stock.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Sportlines are "only" a 1/2" drop. That seems minuscule, but, I run 2 stock height 124s daily too and there is a clear sporty improvement from stock.
1/2" drop is optimal for me. Stock is too high, H&R is too low. Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What's the best place to buy HR or Sportline springs and Blisten struts?
I just bought the Sportline parts from my dealer - yes you can still get them amazingly - and everything, shocks, springs, pads, etc. EXCLUDING front struts (I bought separately from a Benzworld member) was $1200. Not bad considering you could easily spend $1K+ on a set of H&R springs and Bilsteins for these cars.

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
1/2" drop is optimal for me. Stock is too high, H&R is too low. Thanks.
Lowering this car (95 E320) did nothing for me except it looks cool but rides like S#*T. I have H&Rs. I would NEVER DO IT AGAIN! The STOCK 400E rides Sooo much better! The E320 has newer Bilstein struts and still bounces like a Honda Civic with a coffee can exhaust!

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
My setup was under 700 for springs, pads and 4 bilsteins. Its a bit harder than sportlines but lots of fun.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
My only complaint with the H&Rs is that they can be harsh on extremely rough terrain or a bit too low when I'm loaded down with three or more passengers--this applies to my sedan, not the wagon.

I'm pretty sure both sets of springs were less than $250, which would be tough to beat if you went with Sportline.

·
Registered
525 Posts
where can i can the "pads" to raise the car... i need a 1/4 to 1/2 inch....

·
Registered
600 Posts
So the consensus is go with the sportline package. But if you're on a budget go with HRs that lower 1.5" and Blisten Sports. Is this correct? I think I'll go with the HRs and Blisten Sports--so what pad do I need? The suppliers I've looked at don't list for the 95E300D. SO should I go with the E420 since it's heavier?

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
If money isn't an issue, then I'd definitely go with Sportline. I have no doubt that they're the best all around fit for these cars. Look up under your car and see if you can figure out how many notches are on your front and rear spring pads. I would just buy springs for an E320 or 300E. I have 300E springs on my 300D, which has one less cylinder and presumably that much less weight.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I think I'll go with the HRs and Blisten sports. That's what this guy has in the picture. But what size pads do I need? His ride looks good. The sportline is too expensive especially when I have so much other stuff on the list.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
9 Participants
Zeitgeist
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing