Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2001 c240 50k
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone

i have a cracked/ broken spring on my c240 and wont pass inspection with this. i am going to replace the springs with H&R springs and while i am in there i want to change the struts as well. does anyone know the difference between sport and non-sport. my guess would be stiffer springs and better struts? I wrote someone on some bilstein sport struts and he said that they will not fit my car because it doesnt have sport suspension

these are for the rear struts and springs

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,962 Posts
The sport suspension has stiffer spring, larger anti-sway bars, and a lowered stance. The sport shocks will fit but you need the matching springs.

·
Registered
99' E320, 00' E320, 03' E320T, 05' C230K
5,025 Posts
If you are going to be using lowering springs, best to use the Bilstein Sports. They are shorter so there is less chance of them bottoming out.

·
Registered
2001 c240 50k
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2001 on oem struts and springs, the new tourings along with the h&r springs will make me happy. I don't think it will bottom out, besides cant be much worse than how it is riding now with a broken spring.

·
Registered
99' E320, 00' E320, 03' E320T, 05' C230K
5,025 Posts
I believe the Bilstein Touring are considered OEM replacements. When used with lowering springs (i.e. H&R) there is a possibility of them (the struts/shocks themselves) bottoming out in a sever compression situation which can damage them. Also, you might not get the designed performance from the Touring because the stroke/rebound position might be compromised with the H&R springs.

The Bilstein Sports are shorter and are meant to be used with lowering springs.

NOT SURE, but heard Koni's are designed differently and can used without worrying about the above.

·
Registered
2001 c240 50k
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just got done replacing both rear shocks and springs, the car rides much better in the rear. the combination has very little give to it so I highly doubt that it would bottom out any time soon. maybe over the coarse of time but if so I will just replace with sport shocks. it was a fairly easy DIY if your mechanically inclined, the hardest part was getting the new bolts lined up with the holes because I was on a concrete barn floor without a lift. I personally would recommend this combination of h&r springs with billstein touring shocks

·
Registered
05 C230 Sedan Sports Package
180 Posts
The sport suspension has stiffer spring, larger anti-sway bars, and a lowered stance. The sport shocks will fit but you need the matching springs.
Rudeney,

My 2005 C230 with Sports Package needs front struts and I would not mind a smoother ride, for some reason I always thought my ride was a little stiff.
Will the non sports front struts fit my car?.

This also goes for the rear, I noticed that the rear is equipped with cartridges, so I was thinking to purchase the regular ones instead of the sports.

Please advise,

·
Registered
2001 c240 50k
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe that they will fit your car, some people will tell you to not put in non sport or that it is not good. I just got my front struts and springs done yesterday and I have to say the car rides way better, and feels more planted than it did before. But it is not too stiff and still gives a very comfortable ride. People say that because the touring struts are not meant to be put in with H&R springs that they will fail prematurely

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,962 Posts
You could certainly replace the sport struts/shocks and springs with standard versions. They will fit and function just fine.

·
Premium Member
2003 C230 Kompressor 3 pedals , 2014 BMW 328 GT 1974 Alfa Romeo Spider 2001 Ford F150, 2013 Mazda3
116 Posts
This is a great thread and has cleared up a lot of confusion for me and will help many others in the future.
Most parts houses, including the better ones are showing one part number for all C 230 cars. They show 203 320 7030 as the correct original part for my 2003 C230. Their databases say that the part pictured in this thread, 203 320 7330 will not fit a C230 , but the photos here prove otherwise.
The gents at FCP Euro are telling me that all US Model C230 sedans are equipped with sport suspension, so there is only one part.
in searching the forums I see a few different ones. This thread is the best as it pictures a known original sport strut with PN 203 320 7330.
There is another thread that mentions 203 320 7530 for a 2005 model year car with sport suspension, but there is no photo of the PN.

Thanks to The OP, DFORNEY, RUDENEY and TJTS1 for solving a problem for me.

·
Banned
Your mom
6,491 Posts
This is a great thread and has cleared up a lot of confusion for me and will help many others in the future.
Most parts houses, including the better ones are showing one part number for all C 230 cars. They show 203 320 7030 as the correct original part for my 2003 C230. Their databases say that the part pictured in this thread, 203 320 7330 will not fit a C230 , but the photos here prove otherwise.
The gents at FCP Euro are telling me that all US Model C230 sedans are equipped with sport suspension, so there is only one part.
in searching the forums I see a few different ones. This thread is the best as it pictures a known original sport strut with PN 203 320 7330.
There is another thread that mentions 203 320 7530 for a 2005 model year car with sport suspension, but there is no photo of the PN.

Thanks to The OP, DFORNEY, RUDENEY and TJTS1 for solving a problem for me.
Here's all the part numbers for front springs and struts as well as spring color codes fitted to the W203 and W209. Have google translate it to english.
Mercedes-Benz Teilekatalog (Ersatzteile online)
There isn't a single spring or strut fitted to all W203s and most W209s. It depended on which factory it came from, which year, which options etc etc. Suffice to say, any sport spring/strut combination should work. All C230 sedans in the US were fitted with the sport suspension but there are minor variations from year to year in ride height. I wouldn't sweat it.
Heres the rear suspension.
http://mb-teilekatalog.info/view_Su...&catalog=69N&model=203040&group=32&subgrp=120
The stock non sport rear springs on my C320 wagon are the same PN as fitted to almost all C350s and some C550s with sport suspension, go figure. The only difference was they used 2 dot spring pads where my wagon has 4 dot.

5 oclock free crack giveaway:: If anyone wants Bilstein B4 sport struts for their front suspension, $41.60 a pop on Amazon warehouse deals. It says used buy really its just an open box.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...8&qid=1519859537&sr=8-12&keywords=W203+struts
Grab a couple of used sport springs on ebay and you're all set.
You're welcome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.