Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Sport shocks and drilled/slotted rotors?

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Johnnay 
#1 ·
Hey guys. It's nearly time for me to change my rotors and pads.

What are everyones thoughts on drilled and slotted rotors for these cars?

Im thinking since my brakes need to be done soon anyway, might as well do a small upgrade. I consider myself a sporty driver so I thought, why not.

Also, my shocks are almost in need of replacement at 145k miles. I was too thinking about doing a small upgrade by upgrading the shocks since they are nearly due for replacement.

I buy nearly all my stuff from Autopartswarehouse and I've been eyeing these Bilstein Sports:

Bilstein Front Shock Absorber and Strut Assembly Sport Strut assembly, direct OE replacement

What say you guys?

#2 ·
Is your car lowered? If so, then BSS are the way to go.

I'm quite partial to ATE's slotted rotor, ie their Premium One.

Couple that w/ a set of Akebono ceramics and some ATE Super Blue fluid.

Get Genuine strut mounts, the after market bits have really been Crap of late.

Jonathan

#3 ·
+1 on all counts.

if your car isn't lowered, you should be good with the billy HD's. apparently, they're valved the same as the sports, but with different rod lengths. if you're lowered, billy sports all the way.

i haven't tried the ATE premiums, but drilled rotors on these cars IMO are mostly for show. unless you go auto x or track your car occasionally, i doubt you get those brakes hot enough for what drilling is designed to do in the first place. slotted rotors should give you enough bite where you wont complain. if you insist on drilled/slotted rotors, don't do the cheapy ebay one's or try skimping out off those higher quality name brands. with excessive heat cycles and continuous braking they start to crack around the drill holes. not going to be a pleasant experience having a rotor shatter when you need to stop quick.

akebono and super blue. :thumbsup:

Reactions: 65beto
#4 ·
My car is not lowered, it is 100% stock non-sportline.

#10 ·
Most noticeable difference will be a reduction in nose diving under braking. When I switched from comforts to sports, it was a very, very drastic change.

As said above, stay away from ebay aftermarket junk. I made the mistake when I was uninformed and new to cars a few years back on my wagon because they were cheap. Since then they squeak and rumble all the time. Pain in the ass.

#11 · (Edited)
Consider the Zimmerman rotors...
Holes are cast, not drilled ( I believe Brembo are also cast )..no chance of cracking.
OEM quality and reasonably priced...

Shocks- I would go with the Bilstein HD's even on a lowered car that is used on the street.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.