Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do you guys think that it is worth it to get a sport package for 01 C class? <br>I am thinking that should i add that option or not.<br>Thx for your advice...<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one on order with the sports package. While I have not done a scientific side by side evaluation, the lowered height, however small, along with other suspension tweaks seem to give a tighter feel with less roll. I also like having more tire, but would have liked a 17" wheel as part of the package. The only thing I was less than thrilled with is the alum. trim and the mandatory grey interior. <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes..The different AMG bumpers alone make it worth getting the Sport Package...nt

: Do you guys think that it is worth it to get a sport package for 01 C class? <br>I am thinking that should i add that option or not.<br>Thx for your advice...<br><p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not Worth it

I just don't understand how you can call something a Sport package and not include any type of performance parts at all. <p>1. Wheels are not upgraded at all. A sport packag with no upgrade to the wheels at all makes no sense. Other MB Sport package comes with an upgraded set of AMG wheels. Why is this not included on the latest MB??<p>2. Body molding that is not really that different than the standard. I can't imagine that the AMG body molding yields major performance gains, since it is indistinguisable from the standard at anything more than 10 feet.<p>3. Carfon Fiber interior trim. Tell me again where I yield performance gains now that you've changed my dash from high qulaity wood trim to lower quality aluminum?? On top of that it doesn't even look that good. Plus you have no choice of interior color AND you are forced to take the premium leather package which is just a complete rip-off.<p>4. Lowered ride height and stiffer suspension. This is the only upgrade that will yield performance gains, but the gains are minimal at best.<p>I thought about the Sport package, but decided to leave it off my C240. I suggest you wait till next year. MB will probably change the Sport package entirely. Most likely adding 17" AMG wheels and increasing the price. It seems to me that MB just plain forgot to add all the good stuff into the current Sport package. <p>Pritam

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
: Do you guys think that it is worth it to get a sport package for 01 C class? <br>I am thinking that should i add that option or not.<br>Thx for your advice...<br><p>I thought sports package worth it, particularly if you want the Premium Leather package anyway, which I did. Then, for $1575 over the Premium Leather you get: More supportive sports seats a lowered chassis with stiffer springs,shocks and stabilizer bars, 225/50 tires,<br>European "Avantgarde"(not AMG) bodywork and blue tinted glass. BTW the car looks great with this package in Magma Red.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Except that the Sport package bumpers are NOT from AMG...

In the U.S., the sport package comes with the European "Avantgarde" bumpers and side sills, NOT the AMG bumpers and sills.<p>BTW, the base C-class in the U.S. is equivalent to the European "Elegance" trim package, and the sport package is equivalent to the European "Avantgarde" trim package. In Europe, the Avantgarde trim package is a no-cost option from the Elegance trim. That means the wheels, aluminium interior trim, bumpers, and side sills add ZERO cost to the sport package. You're actually paying $3000 for the leather, sport seats, and suspension. All of which cost only $2300 in Europe, so the sport package is definitely a rip-off in the U.S.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some comments...

1. Except for the E-class, the sport packages that come with AMG wheels also come with AMG bumpers and sills. The C-class bumpers and sills are not AMG.<p>2. There are no performance gains from the lower body kit, and none are claimed. MBUSA just says "sculpted."<p>3. Again, they're not from AMG.<p>4. This is definitely the only performance improvement, and it would still be the only performance improvement than if the package did come with 17" AMG wheels and AMG bumpers and sills.<p>Don't expect M-B to change the sport package as long as either the C-class or the sport package is selling well. If sales of either drops off, they _might_ change it. Just remember, the W202 sport package didn't have AMG body pieces or AMG wheels. Of course, the price was 1/3 of the W203 package.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got an 01 C320 with the sport package<br>and my friend got it without the sports package. <p>Whats worth it is the awesome suspension you get compared to the normal suspenison ((u can feel the difference)<br>The textured aluminum is awesome, very sporty!<p>Not so great are the wheels shich are the same size but have 5 spokes.<p>I say spend a little more and get the sport package!<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Except that the Sport package bumpers are NOT from AMG...

: In the U.S., the sport package comes with the European "Avantgarde" bumpers and side sills, NOT the AMG bumpers and sills.<p>BTW, the base C-class in the U.S. is equivalent to the European "Elegance" trim package, and the sport package is equivalent to the European "Avantgarde" trim package. In Europe, the Avantgarde trim package is a no-cost option from the Elegance trim. That means the wheels, aluminium interior trim, bumpers, and side sills add ZERO cost to the sport package. You're actually paying $3000 for the leather, sport seats, and suspension. All of which cost only $2300 in Europe, so the sport package is definitely a rip-off in the U.S.<br><p>In the netherlands, if you get the avantgarde trim, you still have to<br>pay extra for leather, sport seats and syspension. Those are all still<br>standard. If you want those upgraded, you're talking about $3000 worth of<br>options. And Avantgarde is not a standard trim in europe. If you upgrade to<br>avantgarde it's also an option of almost $2000.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, but in Europe, you don't have to pay for all the stuff you don't want...

Sure, alot of equipment is standard in the U.S., and because of that, we pay less than Europeans do for the same amount of equipment, but we don't get a choice. A base Euro-spec C32 costs under $30K plus tax with the current exchange rate. For that price, alot of Americans would be happy to drive a C320 without options like power seats, automatic climate control, leather, Bose sound system, alloy wheels, etc.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of the main reasons we go the sport package was because of the aluminum trim. I detest wood in a car. You can flame me all you want, but I just don't like the look of wood. <p>I wish it would have come with 17" wheels though, but I can see why Mercedes did this. The typical Mercedes doesn't want the boy racer feel of a car and maybe 17"s would have pushed the ride to be to harsh and uncontrolled. Maybe not.<p>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts