Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.MyRoadster.Net <br>
[email protected]<br>
<br>
Porterfield R4-S low dust pads are for street and light competition use. Temperature maximum 1,100 degrees F, Friction coefficient .4 <br>
Most OEM pads have a maximum heat range of 500-700 degrees, and a friction coefficient between .2 and .3 Porterfields are rotor friendly, and produce very little dust. For availability and price information please E-Mail Jerry at [email protected] with Model Year and description of your car. Read more at my website about Porterfield http://www.MyRoadster.Net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not that simple.

The total amount of energy dispersed between stock pads and any other pad is the same, therefore the total amount of heat will be the same.<br> <br> Under extreme circumstances (panic stops), pads with a higher friction coefficient will generate the same amout of heat, but they will reach that point faster. If you did serveral high speeds sudden stops in a row, I could imagine a scenario where the hottest temp would be higher, but anyone that does 4 or 5 high speed panic stops in quick succession is either at a track or an incredibly bad driver (and proably both).<br> <br> Under normal stopping, most people are going to slow down at the same rate, which means that the amount of energy would be dissipated at the same rate, therefore the amount of heat produced is about the same.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to agree with ...Danr. Any Brake pad that can make the car stop short distance then the......

<br> stock pad is going to make the rotor warpage and reduce the life of the rotor shorter at any driving style. In normal driving condition, everyone is slow down at the same rate. THAT IS TRUE but it just a theory. On my M3, i never had the rotor warpage problem with the factory pad. But then when i switch over to other pad ( metalic pad). I noticed that it grab better. I really like it alot. Then after a couple month in normal driving condition the steering wheel start to vibrate everytime i step on the brake. It turn out the the rotor is warpaged. What i'm saying it that, in real life driving something. Sometime you need to brake hard to avoid accident. With the factory pad you can brake hard over and over many time again before the rotor warpage. Where in the non-factory pad, you only need to brake hard a couple time and the rotor will warpage because those non-factory pad produce tremendous heat in hard braking. MFG know better then any one in term of RELIABLE. Any one can make the car go fast and stop short distance, but how reliable is that gonna be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts