Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1987 300GD, 1987 300TD, 1991 300TE, 1992 300TE 4M, 1968 Citroen AK250, 1991 VW Syncro Camper
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard bad things about the ambulance doors on the 460's being more prone to rust than the one peice doors. I think the double doors were only routinely available in the early years of the 460. Of course they were/are avialable by special order and on the armored versions.

The question is, is there an advantage to double doors? I can see that using two doors with a separate tyre carrier will relieve the hinges of a great deal of weight but I am sure they weere engineered for it. Having owned a cabrio with the tailgate and a 463 with the one piece doors I can say the single door is easier to use.

Can you open one half of the two doors (the one with the handle and not covered by the tyre carrier) without unlatching the tyre carrier? If so it seem that would work fine too for most things.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Depends what you want to do with the truck. If you're thinking of larger than stock wheels or tires, I'd definitely want the separate carrier.

I have the 2-piece doors, and I like them better than one-piece door SUV's I've owned. I don't think the rear door hinges on the single door are any different from the ones used on each of the double doors, but I'm not sure.

You can open the left hand door without opening the tire carrier. That's no problem.

There are a couple things I should point out.

1- I run 235/85 tires and I have to open the tire carrier to access the fuel filler. Not a big deal to me, but others may object.

2- the center post of metal in the rear doors can obscure a car following at a distance, as viewed through the inside rear view mirror. I see it as an advantage as I can use it to hide his bright headlights if I want to, but again, others may like the single big window better.

3- Having the tire off to the side means that larger tires don't obstruct your total rear view as much as they would when mounted in the center of the rear door.

4- If someone hits you fomr behind at low speed, like in a parking lot or something, the tire and rack absorb a little more impact and transfer energy a little better than the door mounted tire and you get away with less damage.

5- I want to make a second swing-out carrier to carry fuel cans on the left hand side. Adding carrying capacity like that is a slightly larger affair on the single rear door as you're faced with scrapping the stock tire mounting and findin a place for that as well on your new rear bumper/rack.

I love the double rear doors and wouldn't go to a single. But that's not to say everybody should feel the same. Someone who want's to keep the tires and wheels stock might rather have the cleaner package of the single rear door.

Good luck in your search.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
G560, GSR 500
190 Posts
there is one more advantage to doubble doors in the back.

if you have a trailer behind your G, you actually can OPEN them, which is not allways (depends on the trailer) possible with single doors.

·
Registered
1988 300 GD STT LWB
585 Posts
The previous owner of my 1988 GD ordered the car with split back doors due to the fact that he used it with a big trailer. Besides that I cant think of any advantage/disadvantage with any door setup. Maybe the split door setup will last marginally longer due to less hinge strain, And it is easier (due to half the wheight and half the opening radius) to open the left half to access the cargo area.

As for rust I dont know. Most split door G's are very early versions and may have rusted out due to old age.

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
How would you go about converting those split doors setup into a single rear door setup? Is it possible to remove the hinges on the right side of the vehicle that connect the door on the right?

·
Registered
1985 300GD LWB 5 Speed
1,079 Posts
I used to realy dislike the tailgate arrangement on my Cabrio. The soft top was eternally a problem, as I had to undo the top and unzip the window, then lower the tailgate. In cold weather, this was really not an option. Now that I have a hardtop (and new struts that fully lift the back lid), I really like the tailgate arrangement. It offers a flat surface to place things - like having a work bench where ever I go. The vehicle now locks-up at all openings, just like the steel top G's. [:)]

·
Registered
1987 300GD, 1987 300TD, 1991 300TE, 1992 300TE 4M, 1968 Citroen AK250, 1991 VW Syncro Camper
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the work surface is nice. On my old hard top it was a maual operation so it required several hands. Pretty slick to have those shocks. My tailgate was extra heavy because I built in a tool box behind that aluminum plate. My wife was not too keen on that set up but it was great to have the tailgate when hauling long things. (There are a lot of things longer than the SWB g-wagen!)

·
Registered
1981 SWB 300GD
73 Posts
Hi

About converting split doors to single rear door...

It can be done. The hinges for the single door are a bit larger, to carry the more weight.Try to look up inside the rear wheel arch will show where the lower hinges are attatched. It is bolted on a small welded plate to the rest of the car. My 81' SWB has split doors and I really like them.Here they are reffered to as "gangsta doors"[:)]

Regards

Peter

·
Registered
1980 280GE LWB
105 Posts
It's a little late, but I'll chime in on this one since this is something that I actually know about.

I've got the ambulance-style doors on my truck, and they were VERY convenient with the stock tire carrier and stock spare tire. I could open the left door to access the cargo area and open the left or both doors and haul cargo that was longer than the truck and have it stick out the back (i.e. 2x4s). Of course I had to bungie the door(s) and/or tire carrier to keep them from swinging.

Unfortunately now I've lost those advantages by installing a custom rear bumper with swing-away tire carrier. The tire carrier is centered but lower than stock, so it doesn't block too much of my f.o.v. It's also large enough and deep enough to accomodate a 36" tire should I ever decide to go that large. The only advantages of this location are that I don't have to open the tire carrier to add fuel, and I have space on both sides of the tire for jerry cans.

Since this configuration blocked the license plate, I had to relocate it to inside the spare tire (it's held on by the nut that secures the tire).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the feedback,

I think my gut feeling that two doors is better than one seems to be correct. It is much easier to get into the swing of things this way too[:D]

Adam

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, good point about the tyre size. How much larger can you go and keep the standad carrier? It would block the left door and maybe some or most of rearward visibility I imagine. Does it become an issue of fouling the rear bumper as well? On my 230 Cabrio I could shift the tyre up or down by how it was bolted into the holder.

Any pics of this custom bumper?

Thanks,

Adam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts