Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300sl (r129),porsche 997, mercedes e250 cabrio (W207,280 clk (w209) rx270 lexus)
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried installing a s280 (w140) speedo cluster into my 1991 sl 300-24.the w140 meter is newer than my current . it has the digital odometer where as my is the analog (gear type).
I realise these problem;-
1.ETS light on
2.temp reading different and worst of all
3. the speedo and the fuel comsumption gauge don't move at all.
I'm really hope to upgarde to the newer (digital ) version and i also heard that it can be done..
Please advise....
Thanks

·
Registered
SL500 1990, USA specification. Chassis No. WDB FA66E5 LF 005675
47 Posts
Robinp, regret from personal experience that a W140 intrument cluster is not instantly exchangeable with an R129 - I tried "by accident" as I was told that a damaged partial unit I bought and re-assembled was from an R129... but was not!
The absolute expert on these matters is James Kouramanis of MBCluster.com Mercedes W140 Instrument Cluster Repair Homepage - Ontario, Canada.

He has placed an excellent write-up of some similarities (and differences) between 129, 140, plus early (analogue) and late (digital) clusters. His direct email is [email protected] - though recommend you read through his website article on your area of problems first.

Please keep us posted on your findings. My wish to upgrade is similar to yours - but I've been stalled by complexities of the many versions of identical-appearance clusters that are sold in the used-parts market.

Regards,

Ali D-C

·
Registered
328 Posts
Mercedes do not sell the analogue clusters anymore so If your cluster stops working and you go to the dealer to buy a new one they will sell you the newer digital kind. In other words the newer digital cluster will work in the older vehicles. It is a direct fit with no modifications needed.

·
Registered
300sl (r129),porsche 997, mercedes e250 cabrio (W207,280 clk (w209) rx270 lexus)
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, anyleads where i can get a secondhand replacement???

thanks

·
Registered
sl320,600SL,230GE
52 Posts
I tried the W140 dash before and it definitely doesn't work in a R129. They look identical and even the plugs at the back are the same. I've had problems with my cluster as well and ended up with a new one as used digital dash are very rare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts