Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from earlier discussions, bear with me here as I do not have my SLK yet ( about 2 months away ).

The Speedometer in the UK shows only MPH / the KPH is shown on the digital display. This is done as the SLK speedometer does not show both MPH and KPH on the dial as with most cars in the UK.

In other countries this KPH display can be changed to show the outside temp - but this can not be done in the UK without a dealer / hacker changing the car setup.

Is this right?

If so is there no way of seeing the outside temp?

·
Registered
SLK350
128 Posts
Hi Gill, you can see the out side tepm, but only on the upper window where it shows the miles and other information, so you can see only the temp or the radio station or other info one at a time, the bottom window always shows the KPH.
I have a LHD with UK spec, if you want to see how it works let me know. Regards EDD11Y

·
Registered
32 Posts
Folks - I got my (UK) dealer to change over the country code so that I now have temp in the lower window instead of kmh. Took then 5 mins and free!

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
R171buyer - 3/14/2005 9:29 AM

Folks - I got my (UK) dealer to change over the country code so that I now have temp in the lower window instead of kmh. Took then 5 mins and free!
Welcome to my club ;-)
thought i was alone here in the UK for a while!

but since you say they changed the country code...
any other differences become apparent?

·
Registered
S280 SLK350 A200
132 Posts
No, you have never been alone. Presumably having changed the country code to change the display, the country code can then be changed back again afterwards?
Rusper

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
R171buyer - 3/12/2005 2:29 PM

I want it. I've been harping on about this since day 1 - 10th Nov. Can you still change to Km/h readout in the lower display when you want to? Most of the time, I would like to know the outside temp, along with Sat Nag/Radio/MP3 data in the top display, but when I drive in Europe, (ok Mainland) I would like the Km/H display there.

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
Woolly - 3/14/2005 2:50 PM

Can you still change to Km/h readout in the lower display when you want to? Most of the time, I would like to know the outside temp, along with Sat Nag/Radio/MP3 data in the top display, but when I drive in Europe, (ok Mainland) I would like the Km/H display there.
On mine you can only have same units on the digital display as the needle gauge.
i.e MPH when in MPH mode and KM/hr on both digital and analogue when in that mode. (change into the KM mode using the settings menu)

Not sure if mine was done by country code change, (they never told me in Bremen how they'd done this), although i suspect not, as i've never ever noticed any other differences between mine and any other UK SLK.

Over to you R171 buyer...

maybe you guys will all have to take a trip up to Scotland to this dealer!

·
Registered
32 Posts
IanX
Re but since you say they changed the country code... any other differences become apparent?

None – the system is working perfectly.

Re Not sure if mine was done by country code change, (they never told me in Bremen how they'd done this), although i suspect not, as i've never ever noticed any other differences between mine and any other UK SLK.

They simply plugged it into the Star computer and “fooled it� I understand to allow them to set the lower display to temp. Nothing in the upper display has changed!

For those that need to know more, contact John R Weir Mercedes, Dundee, and they should be able to tell you the trick for your dealer.

Wooly
Re Can you still change to Km/h readout in the lower display when you want to? Most of the time, I would like to know the outside temp, along with Sat Nag/Radio/MP3 data in the top display, but when I drive in Europe, (ok Mainland) I would like the Km/H display there.

Not tried, but I can always change to country in the top display to get kmh there, I think.

·
Registered
BMW
900 Posts
R171buyer - 3/16/2005 10:43 AM
For those that need to know more, contact John R Weir Mercedes, Dundee, and they should be able to tell you the trick for your dealer.
Can I suggest that one person contacts the dealer and posts the definitive answer here? The dealer will not be pleased if a lot of non-customers phone asking for instructions on doing something that MB would probably frown upon, and it might cause them to withold the information.

·
Registered
R171 200K
115 Posts
I had my car built to UK spec bought from a dealer in Germany since when I enquired at the dealerships here last august they told me approx 10 month wait for a 200 and couldn't give me any definitive information other then I was welcome to put down a deposit..... No thanks! Subsequently ordered the same august with a car broker and it was delivered to my house mid November.

To cut a long story short mine came with outside temp in lower display, it can be changed to display km/h via steering wheel. There dont seem to be any odd quirks as a result of having it this way.

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts

Was just wondering if anyone has had anymore luck with persuading their dealer to change the readout. [8D]

But am also kicking myself cause my Mom has just bought a new C Class Coupe - from John Weir, Dundee and I hadn't realised it was them or I could have asked them for some info - soo annoying!!! [:(!]

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
steve-p - 3/16/2005 11:03 AM

Can I suggest that one person contacts the dealer and posts the definitive answer here? The dealer will not be pleased if a lot of non-customers phone asking for instructions on doing something that MB would probably frown upon, and it might cause them to withold the information.
So did anyone do this then?

I have come to the opinion that this temp / speed thing is really annoying. I spend all my time wondering what the temp is.

My local dealer seems friendly - I will ask them tomorrow whilst they are fixing my clock.
I will see if they can get some sort of statement from MB on why this can not be changed in the UK.

Does anyone know if this a legal requirement the nearest I can find to a legal requirement is here:

http://www.police-law.co.uk/law/policelaw.nsf/0/2bc240792813ff6080256baa005a4370?OpenDocument

So does capable in this context mean - must show all the time or can be switched on / off?

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
Slk-Gill - 5/13/2005 8:31 PM

Does anyone know if this a legal requirement the nearest I can find to a legal requirement is here:
C & U regs state 'It must be CAPABLE of showing velocity in MPH and KpH - i.e. not showing both at the same time. I still maintain having the outside temp displayed at all times (i.e. in the lower display) is a safety feature.

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
Not sure if I'm out of order here because I'm in the U.S. and U.K. cars seem different in a few specific ways. Anyway, in my Operator's Manual, this is what is says to change to KPH (digital readout):

Select the Settings... menu (using the buttons on the left of the steering wheel)
Access the Instr. Cluster submenu using the + or - button
To set temperature display mode in the status readout display, press the up/down arrow repeatedly until you see Temp. display. Press + or - to set temperature to Centigrade or Fahrenheit.
To set speedometer display mode, move the selection marker with the + or - button to the Inst. cluster submenu. Press the up or down arrow repeatedly until you see Display unit Speed-/odometer in the multifunction display. Press + or - to set the speedometer unit to km or miles.

I don't know if that helps or not. If your menus are different, then I guess it won't work. I hope it does.

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Esselkay,
Yep our manuals in the UK describe the process the same way and then say that this can not be done in the UK. [:(!]

Spoke to the dealer today who says they can not change it as it is a legal requirement to have KP/H displayed.

No point in arguing with them so I have a number to escalate it further. Will see how far that gets me.

Playing devils advocate here: [}:)]

What if I put some clear plastic over the speedo face plastic with kph markings so they line up with the needle. Then MB can not argue the thing is illegal????

Oh well it will have to wait till next week now. I like a challenge.

The dealer did comment that C class owners have requested the same change, but got the same answer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts