Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes W124 300D 180k
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got another Diesel Benz, its a 1987 300D and it looks like the trip was reset (shows all 0's) and so neither counts and the speedo was maxed out and tapping and bouncing then finally just got fully maxed out and just clicks. is this the trip reset being stuck? gears broken? cable needing to be replaced? a combination of these? its really bothers me...

Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,888 Posts
If you ask me i would say the drive cable inside the outer cover is damaged, twisted and jammed ..Remove the soeedo console and see if you can turn the inner cable . You will get a better picture once the console is removed .

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,888 Posts
Rayan google this web site > Pelican Parts look to the top ^ you will see How To Articles
pic06.jpg
clicl on this .Then chose your model = W124 then speedo removal . Let us know if its helpfuill

·
Registered
1993 230 TE.1999 om 606 td. and 722.6 3.2L,clk w208 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
767 Posts
The oddometer is damaged as some P.O. has tried to re set it while the car is moving.

·
Registered
W124
5,300 Posts
I think its much simpler than that. These odometer mechanisms hang up over time. You have two choices:

1. Pull the cluster, pull the speedo, clean up the pivot points and any soloidified grease you see. Should work fine after that.

2. This should actually be done first; Push the reset button in all the way and don't release it in the normal way, slide your finger to the side so the button "snaps" back to home position. This cures the problem 99% of the time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think its much simpler than that. These odometer mechanisms hang up over time. You have two choices:

1. Pull the cluster, pull the speedo, clean up the pivot points and any soloidified grease you see. Should work fine after that.

2. This should actually be done first; Push the reset button in all the way and don't release it in the normal way, slide your finger to the side so the button "snaps" back to home position. This cures the problem 99% of the time.
I actually tried that as i heard of it, but it didn't seem to do anything. im scared of taking it apart with the fear of breaking something or having to get gears that i couldn't seem to find anywhere...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rayan google this web site > Pelican Parts look to the top ^ you will see How To Articles View attachment 2641946 clicl on this .Then chose your model = W124 then speedo removal . Let us know if its helpfuill
I went there just now, couldn't find a section related to the speedometer actually, kinda shocking. maybe im doing something wrong? i did all those steps...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
okay, i just pulled the cluster, and i found what appears to be the end of a toothpick jammed into the back of the speedo where the cable screws in???? dont see how the cable could've spun very much or at all or the speedo do much of anything with that being in there....

update Pushed the speedo back around and it went back to its natural state of returning to "0" and noticed also the housing is melted pretty bad, worse than i've seen and i replaced the bulbs with LED's and they didn't work (flipped them around to make sure it wasn't the polarity) and the odometer still doesn't work, even after doing the reset trick a couple times. Speedo works now though so that's nice.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,888 Posts
Ryan the gears in the trip are out of line or worn out . Repaired a few of these in the past . I would check Diesel Giant web site out he shows you just how to check the speedo out .

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,888 Posts
ryan another tutorial if you can find it . google > Repairing Mercedes W123 Odometer -Ifixit Repair Guide . thats if your capable ...its for the W123 but the idea is the same it is the one i used to repair those i did to the letter /

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did happen to run into Diesel Giant and iFixit's guides during my searches, seems to be a lack of W124 speedo/cluster related instructions. i'm willing and able to tackle it, but if i have stripped gears can you still buy them for a W124? specifically a USDM Diesel? i found some but theyre for KMH speedo's and/or gas models with a 160mph and different gear ratios etc etc... maybe i can find someone to 3D print me some or something? 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,496 Posts
Kent advocates a guy who repairs, repaints and calibrates the 124 speedos. For around $100, I think it's money well spent.

Kevin

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah i was thinking about that as well, how long does that take usually? main thing holding me back on that is how long it would take, the fact i could do it myself cheaper (though not as good etc i know) and its my daily so..

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,496 Posts
I think Kent said three weeks. You can always call the guy and ask his present turnaround.

·
Registered
'87 W124 260E A/T
2 Posts
Thanks for the ideas guys. Noob Q though. From how I understand speedos and odometers on most vehicles they'd both be working off of the cable. On my current W124, while the speedo works the odo doesn't. So I am guessing there's an issue with the mechanism of the odo then?

Really wish I could get this working already.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,888 Posts
Ryan from what your telling us i think its time for a whole new replacement . Its shot you should pick oue up from the pick and pull yard . Do some googling on who will have them try Ebay . Ask on the forum for one in the wanted section..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts