Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1996 E320
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently revived my uncle's '96 e320
But I noticed that the speedometer sits a 0 and my mileage did not increase as I drove around town:confused:
I was told it was a sensor problem so I tried searching for it, but to no avail
Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
1,222 Posts
speedo is calculated from wheel speed sensors, but missing sensor data should cause the ABS light... is ABS bulb ok (light on at start)?

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,717 Posts
OK. So when will we hear the whole story?
From what I heard the speed sensors are very reliable, but most common problem is dust/dirt accumulation on the sensors and the axles gears as well.
Start with taking the wheels off and have good supply of brake cleaner and toothbrushes.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
I just recently revived my uncle's '96 e320
But I noticed that the speedometer sits a 0 and my mileage did not increase as I drove around town:confused:
I was told it was a sensor problem so I tried searching for it, but to no avail
Any help is greatly appreciated
The rpm sensors are just that, all the control modules that need to know speed, calculate their requirement based on the rpm being sent.

If you had a faulty rpm sensor I believe your dash would light up, plus you could possibly have shifting issues-------------you don't have those issues!!

Do all the other features of your IC work---water temp, fuel tank, IC back lighting.???

Before I started to clean off anything----I would find out what is wrong----To do that requires a local shop with good MB diagnostic capabilities---not a guy with a hand held scanner.

Sometimes the solution is not that simple?? An instrument cluster ain't cheap!!

Upon checking further----all four speed sensors would have to fail for the speedo IC computer to read "0". Additionally the traction control modules are the modules that provide the rpm data for the IC via the CAN. Therefore it could mean that the data is not getting to the IC. Then your IC needle is driven by a very special stepper motor!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone. I am new to the site and was looking for the latest problem with my mercedes and this seems to be it. I apologise in advance if i am just refreshing an old thread. That isn't my intention. I just never found a conclusive answer. I have a 2003 SLK320 with the 6 speed manual transmission. My speedometer stops working sometimes but works other times. When it is hot outside and sunny, it always works. When the sun isn't beating down on my car and the engine isn't warm, it usually doesn't work. The temperature seems to be the key wether it works or not. When the speedometer stops working, many warning lights come on. The are the parking brake light, brake wear light, bas/esp, abs, and maybe one more i am fogetting. Also,the traction control doesnt work. I have heard that the wheel speed sensor could be responsible, but i have saw posts about other things that could be the problem as well. I would like to try to avoid a $1000 bill or more to take my car in and have them change whatever sensor might be causing it. I was wondering if. Anybody knew where the wheel speed sensors were located so i could see if cleaning around the area could solve the problem. Any feedback would be much appreciated. I can answer any more questions you may have about the problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Hello everyone. I am new to the site and was looking for the latest problem with my mercedes and this seems to be it. I apologise in advance if i am just refreshing an old thread. That isn't my intention. I just never found a conclusive answer. I have a 2003 SLK320 with the 6 speed manual transmission. My speedometer stops working sometimes but works other times. When it is hot outside and sunny, it always works. When the sun isn't beating down on my car and the engine isn't warm, it usually doesn't work. The temperature seems to be the key wether it works or not. When the speedometer stops working, many warning lights come on. The are the parking brake light, brake wear light, bas/esp, abs, and maybe one more i am fogetting. Also,the traction control doesnt work. I have heard that the wheel speed sensor could be responsible, but i have saw posts about other things that could be the problem as well. I would like to try to avoid a $1000 bill or more to take my car in and have them change whatever sensor might be causing it. I was wondering if. Anybody knew where the wheel speed sensors were located so i could see if cleaning around the area could solve the problem. Any feedback would be much appreciated. I can answer any more questions you may have about the problem. Thanks.
I would advise you to go to the appropriate forum... Also update profile including car type, location, etc...

Goodluck

·
Registered
7 Posts
if you had a faulty rpm sensor I believe your dash would light up, plus you could possibly have shifting issues-------------you don't have those issues!!
HI i know its a bit late but this is the exact issue im having including limp mode.....could u please suggest where to start

1 - 9 of 9 Posts