Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after my body work when i start and stop my car the speedo lever vibrates/jiggles before relaxing when turning off, or coming to initial position after starting. It also reads at about 3mph when at a stand still... and appears about 3mph high all the way through the travel now. This wasn't the case before the "jiggling" of the arm started.

Any ideas what went wrong to cause it, or what is wrong now and if it can be corrected simply?

Someone said there's another forum with lots of tech's on it... maybe that'd be a good place to post this...

Europa was dissinterested to think much about it my questions. :(

ANyway, thanks ahead of time. Erik

·
Registered
G320
244 Posts
I don't know about electronic speedometers. You can give this guy a call. He did some work for me and his work was excellent. At least you get to talk to the boss.

http://www.speedometer.com/

Pete

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rear left tail light area. The bumper was smashed and i suffereed some body damage. I posted about it back in november. That's why i got a steel bumper... pitty the next fool.

Alan suggested that maybe something got tweaked as a result of disconnecting the ground but it would otherwise seem unrelated.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Main Battery Ground

ewalberg - 4/14/2005 7:50 PM

Rear left tail light area. The bumper was smashed and i suffereed some body damage. I posted about it back in november. That's why i got a steel bumper... pitty the next fool.

Alan suggested that maybe something got tweaked as a result of disconnecting the ground but it would otherwise seem unrelated.
The main battery ground is located right where you had your work done. Be sure that it is tightened securely to bare metal both on top (inside the battery compartment) and from underneath.

It's just possible that someone over-sprayed those bare metal grounging spots and/or didn't thoroughly tighten both the top and the bottom nuts onthat bolt.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one other thing to mention is that while the fuel and engine temperature gages don't flutter, but they don't move to indicate the fuel or temperature level until the speedo needle is finished dancing.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
ewalberg - 4/14/2005 8:43 PM

one other thing to mention is that while the fuel and engine temperature gages don't flutter, but they don't move to indicate the fuel or temperature level until the speedo needle is finished dancing.
Check that ground mentioned in my other message.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check on the grounds back there. Unfortunately i wish they had oversprayed... the monkeys keep forgetting to do the rust prevention work, it has to go back to the shop for the 3rd time because the guys can't check there work... and these guys seemed pretty top notch.

They weren't phased by the model year, and were willing to put in the time to look it up before getting the insurance quote... other shops were lame in that regard. I'm starting to feel like a fool, but i guess it just goes to show if you want it done right you either gotta do it yourself or nearly directly watch someone do it. ugh!

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
ewalberg - 4/14/2005 7:43 PM

I know I sound like a broken record, but my first instinct tells me to check the battery ground and make sure it was reattached properly (properly secured and tightened).

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
ewalberg - 4/14/2005 10:30 PM

I'll check on the grounds back there.
Be sure to check the one underneath - accessible only by lieing on your back under that left rear corner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts