Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me. My speed odo started to freak out and jump all over the place. When it does this I can hear a rattling noise in the dash behind the speed odo. What can I do to fix this myself, and will it probably cost much?

·
Registered
1985 190E 2.3 (Sold)
210 Posts
Your talking about the odometer right?

If so, remove the instrument cluster and check the odometer gears. They might have broke or might be worn down. You can buy new gears for $25 brand new or you could go to a junkyard for them.

·
Registered
'96 sl500, 87 300td
134 Posts
That problem sounds like the speedo cable needs to be lubed. Pull gauge cluster, disconnect the speedo cable and put wd40 or some thing similar down the cable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding. No it is not the odo per say. It started with the speed odo itself jumping around all over the place then it settles down to doing nothing, slumped down to 0 and the odo fails to record also. while it is in the process of doing this you can hear the chattering noise in the dash behing the guages. Am going to remove the instrument cluster and check the speedo cable. Thanks for the advise.

brann524

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise, am going to do as you suggest and inspect the cable. If I dont like it will replace it. Again thank you very much

brann524

1 - 5 of 5 Posts