Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent 5 continuous days behind the wheel of my 560 and loved every minute of it! Instead of viewing the beautiful countryside, I found myself constantly glancing at the speedometer. (For some reason, the car seems to want to go A LOT faster than the local law enforcement has deemed appropriate. Go figure!!)

Anyway, while looking at the speedo face, I noticed that, in addition to the dual scales of MPH and KPH, there are THREE sets of small dots printed between the two scales. One dot at about 40 MPH, two dots at about 80 MPH and three dots at about 120 MPH (speeds approximate since I'm not actually looking at the speedo right now).

Now, who knows what these little dots indicate?

RickM

·
Registered
1988 560 SL
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that thought had crossed my mind, BUT, the speeds seem very high for the shift points. I haven't done the math (speed vs. engine RPMs), but it just sounds high. However, unless someone else comes up with another idea, I'll go with your explanation. Thanks.

·
Registered
'89 560SL
47 Posts
MB has used the small dots on the speedo for that purpose since at least the 60's. Rememb...

MB has used the small dots on the speedo for that purpose since at least the 60's. Remember that they indicate speed at redline RPM in each gear; the automatic trannies aren't always programmed to wait until redline to shift, even under max throttle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts