Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally hit 1000 miles and started reving up the enginer gradually this weekend. Tried the S mode and then the M mode.

The Speed Shifter sux. As some people have previously reported, it is almost useless. There is a considerable delay after pressing the upshift button, especially from the 2nd to the 3rd. I hit the button at 4000rpm in the 2nd gear but RPM continued increasing and I had to ease the gas pedal as RPM almost hit 6000 without shifting. The delay was almost 2 seconds.... If I hit the button at 6000rpm, I would hit the rev limit easily before the trans shifts the gear. On the other hand, downshifting was smooth and slightly quicker.

If someone develpped a software that eliminates the delay, I would be the first customer. As I am used to the SMG II from BMW, which is extremely quick, if not smooth, I am very much disappointed...

If anyone has suggestions as to how and when to use the Speed Shifter, please let me know!

Cheers!

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Q: How and when to use the speed shifter?

A: Never

I knew this before I bought the car having driven an SL55 and an E55 with the same clumsy "manual" shift buttons. I'm always in S mode and leave all the shifitng to the transmission's brain. Attempting the business of manual shifting is just a masochistic exercise in futility. Definitely one of the most idiotic implementations of manu-matic shifting in the car industry. But left in S mode to shift on its own, the car is a joy.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
The G7 is an auto and will always be a slush box plus will never shift on demand (without lag). The SMG II is a clutchless manual with locking torque converter and a automatic shifting mode.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Julien - 4/25/2005 10:22 AM

The G7 is an auto and will always be a slush box plus will never shift on demand (without lag). The SMG II is a clutchless manual with locking torque converter and a automatic shifting mode.
My understanding is that the SMG II is a clutch "pedal"less manual with a clutch that is operated by hydraulic actuators. No torque convertor. You can actually feel that the clutch is disengaged and engaged as you shift the gears.

Anyways, I tried various "techniques" with the speed shifter today with no real success. I guess that I will stick with the S auto...

This car sounds real good when its revved up! I am addicted[8D]

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
MKSM3 - 4/25/2005 8:27 PM
This car sounds real good when its revved up! I am addicted[8D]
I agree... yet another reason why this car should really be a manual: so you can play with the revs more even at stoplights since it is music to the ears. For now the only way to really listen to the engine scream is by going wide open on the road... and unfortunately, right when it starts sounding really good is also about the same time that you're commiting all sorts of moving violations.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
MKSM3 - 4/25/2005 8:27 PM

My understanding is that the SMG II is a clutch "pedal"less manual with a clutch that is operated by hydraulic actuators. No torque convertor. You can actually feel that the clutch is disengaged and engaged as you shift the gears.
You are right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts