Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was pushing 130mph easy in my 2002 S500 and i realized it wasnt goin anyfaster.....whatsup with that......this car has a limiter??? what the hell is up witht that......also, ther ESP button....there is option to turn it off.....just wondering why some one would want to do that. and lastly the button next to it with the shocks......its a stiffener for ABC right....has anyone noticed if it makes much of a difference?????thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Speed Limit should be at 150,.... ESP off

allows you to spin your wheels in the snow for instance, to get down to pavement. 'Shock' button not specifically for ABC.. lets you 'feel' the road like the older benzes versus cushier 'caddy' ride. You can try it on cobblestones and really feel the difference, espically on the pedals.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Speed Limit should be at 150,.... ESP off

i wish it was 150, but i could def feel the gas cutout at 130.....i feel ripped off, lol

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
speed limit for US is 130mph for S500 --dont listen to someone

<br> like Steve who knows nothing about this issue

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: speed limit for US is 130mph for S500 --dont listen to someone

yeah, the older model has a higher speed limiter. I have a 97 e420 and I went like 140 mph, passing a S2000, and still climbing... I don't know if I can do that in my 2000 S500..Maybe you can change your chip

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: speed limit for US is 130mph for S500

I don't know what the speed is limited to on the S500, but on the S55 it is 155 mph. Also, the E430 had a top speed limiter set at 130. I hope this helps...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: speed limit for US is 130mph for S500

Yes, it is possible to change the settings of the speed limiter. This is actually quite popular here in Germany. I costs you 500-1500 Euros, with regard to who does it. For the SL55 Mercedes even offers an 'official' change of the limit to 187mph (It cost you around 3000 bucks). The irony is that the car then still has a speed limiter. It is actually capable of going around 204 mph. But there is no tyre manufacturer that would guarantee the safety of such a heavy car at that high a speed.

·
Registered
CLK 320 cabrio. A190
36 Posts
Re: Re: speed limit for US is 130mph for S500

Yes, it is possible to change the settings of the speed limiter. This is actually quite popular here in Germany. I costs you 500-1500 Euros, with regard to who does it. For the SL55 Mercedes even offers an 'official' change of the limit to 187mph (It cost you around 3000 bucks). The irony is that the car then still has a speed limiter. It is actually capable of going around 204 mph. But there is no tyre manufacturer that would guarantee the safety of such a heavy car at that high a speed.
a lot of people have said that, buit then i'm thinking about the almost 2-ton Aston Martin Vantage V600. the car has a genuine top speed of 200 mph and 600BHP.
this car only shows that tires are available for such power on such heavy car

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
314 Posts
Speed Limiters

So unfortunately North American non performance Mercedes are limited to 210km/h (130mph). And even in Germany with the Autobahn they are still limited but to 250km/h (155mph). It was in 1987 (I think) that German auto manufactuers excluding Porsche, agreed to electronically limit their cars to 250km/h. In North America most German cars will not go any faster than 210km/h like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Volkswagen (I'm pretty sure).

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
314 Posts
ESP

I believe you can switch off ESP if you want to put the car into a drift or fishtail. However, being safety concious, when switched off, the ESP will automatically come back on, if it feels it is needed, making it difficult to actualy put the car in a nice drift. ( I don't know too much about what I am talking about, as I have no experience driving a Mercedes with ESP, I have only read this in a magazine.)

·
Registered
2000 S-430 (AMG)
3 Posts
Even a 2000 model S-430 (low profile and wide rear tyres in AMG sports package but not like an S55) does indeed achieve 155 mph (and still handles like an angel).
:)

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,090 Posts
i got ripped too, my S500 from 2001 and 1998 only go up to 130 and 135 respectivly, rippppppppedd offff, should have gotten a 430 instead, wahts the point
i guess the ffastest car i have is the 1985 500sel euro that hits 140 like whoa

1 - 13 of 13 Posts