Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SL 55
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a stupid question but nevertheless,
does any of the mercedes have speed limiters on the car? I'm pretty sure they would but what about the higher powered cars such as the SL 65 and the SLR etc.

once again sorry if this may seem a stupid question.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not a stupid question at all. The SLR can hit at least 300 kph, no sure if it is limited beyind that.

The SL55 and SL65 are limited to 155mph.

I am about to mod my SL55 to get rid of this stupid limit. There is some kind of agreement between Benz, Audi and BMW to limit their speed (not Porsche thank God). Benz couldn't do it on the SLR as no one would pay that kind of money for a car that competes against Enzo's and Porsche GT's.

One non-political reason to have the limiter was that tires that could take the weight of the SL55 at that speed were hard to come by. That is no longer true. I'm going to get Y rated Michelins.

At www.m b w o r l d.org/forums look for postings by IngenereAMG. A lot of info on desrestriciting. I'm going to use www.speedtuningusa.com (IE only to browse).

·
Registered
SL 55
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aight thanks man couple more questions,

what basically is an ECU and what does it stand for i know a couple things for what its for but never really had it explained to me in "idiot terms."

Also your gonna get your SL 55 even faster? oooooooooooooooooooooooo sexy hehehe thats about 250km/h for me living in Canada, where are you able to go faster? like where do ya live and stuff? I know in my province BC theres some place where people race and test there cars privately on private grounds to test there proformance etc..

thanks again

·
Registered
34 Posts
ECU is the engine control unit. A computer that controls a great many things (fuel and air mixture, spark, diagnostics, etc.) The ECU knows the speed and it is easy to program it to reduce fuel or whatever if the speed hits a certain limit.

Look at "The Fast and the Furious". Not a great movie but it really shows computers and mechanicals being blended in a very graphic way.

Look at www.speedtuningusa.com (use IE) and www.powerchipgroup.com and www.kleemannusa.com. There are many others.

Also, look for postings in the SL55 forum at www.m b w o r l d.com (extra spaces to stop this forum's software from eating the name). Look for postings from ingenereAMG. He has done this.

I live in California. Nevada isn't that far away. The open highways there invite this kind of speed. Flat, good condition, unlimited visibility, almost no one else out there. Just use a radar detector.

You can also rent track time. Might get into that.

What really gets me is that the car is perfectly capable of doing 200. Off the floor Porsche's and Vettes can do 300 kph or more. The limiter might have had some justification when there were only Z rated tires available (155 mph tops) but now there are Y rated tires for the SL55 (300 kph+).

scottcardwell - 2/19/2005 5:30 PM

aight thanks man couple more questions,

what basically is an ECU and what does it stand for i know a couple things for what its for but never really had it explained to me in "idiot terms."

Also your gonna get your SL 55 even faster? oooooooooooooooooooooooo sexy hehehe thats about 250km/h for me living in Canada, where are you able to go faster? like where do ya live and stuff? I know in my province BC theres some place where people race and test there cars privately on private grounds to test there proformance etc..

thanks again

·
Registered
SL 55
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright thanks, ya i saw that movie haha,

but ill take a look at those sites and stuff a little later tonight,

thanks bud.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Renntech told me if I get there ECU upgrade, it will remove the speed limiter.

·
Registered
2005 RENNtech SL600
195 Posts
Actually Tiger, the speed limiter was not be removed with my RENNtech upgrade. They did however move the limiter to 186mph. I can tell you that this is frightfully fast!! Even 170mph is so fast your eyes have a hard time focusing straight ahead because of the tremendous distraction of extreame movement in your periferal vision area. It is hard to decribe other than to say everything is a blur but the distant area in front of you. Very scarry! I will likely not attempt to go faster unless I am in the desert on big open, straight roads. I use my upgrade for the blistering fast acceleration. You know, the G-forces thing. Not burning tires mind you...just super fast acceleration. In my SL600 the 40mph to 100mph is so fast I can't really even time it. It's just insane!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts