Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'91 420SEL '80 300TD
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving at about 65 mph, I set the speed control. Traffic pattern changed and I pushed the lever down to lower the set speed, then changed my mind and pushed it up. Suddenly the car slowed down and did not respond when I pushed down on the pedal. It seemed like it was stuck in 3rd or 4th gear and had no acceleration.

I assumed I had screwed up the computer or sensors, so I drove off the highway, stopped and turned off the ignition. Restarting the car, it resumed its normal pattern and responsiveness. So I guess the rapid up and down caused the speed control to malfunction.

Anyone had similar problems? What happened?

·
Registered
1991 300SE
1,435 Posts
Wow. That's a new one on me. It could have been a "confusing" input when you shifted the lever down, then up so quickly. I have not had that problem with my car, ever. Maybe checking your electrical connections on the cruise computer wouldn't hurt.

·
1991 500SEC Euro, 1987 560SEC Federal
5,548 Posts
Hi,

Your speed/cruise control won't affect what gear the transmission is in generally speaking. I suppose if you were to RESUME speed from a much lower speed a downshift might be in order.... but that condition is quite different than what you describe..

By shutting off the engine & restarting you reset the cruise amplifier/ control unit. That is where I'd start.

Cheers, MBL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts