Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
380SEC UK
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I just made a version of the Extractor Hook, 126 589 03 33 00, required to remove the instrument panel.
I just thought it might be helpful to everyone if there was a thread devoted to HomeMade Tools that are required for certain jobs.
Possibly include workarounds that make the task easier.
Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1986 300SDL 311,500
287 Posts
We just grabbed a skinny Allen wrench by the tail end with a pair of vice grips and thrust the hook through. The time before that we used a coat hangar i think.

·
Registered
1981 300SD, 1976 300D
1,012 Posts
I'm all for a work-around thread. Care to share the materials/dimensions of your extractor hook subsitute?

What I'd really be interested in is a homemade susbstitute for the loop tool which is needed for ign. lock removal. I borrowed a genuine one last time...

·
Registered
380SEC UK
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HomeMade Extractor Hook MB PART 126 589 03 33 00

Hi
Here is a pic of the HomeMade Extractor Hook.
I have placed a 12 inch rule beside it to give an idea of dimensions.
It is made from a coat hanger wire and the twisted joint covered with insulating tape.
It works well.
Hope it is of use to someone.
Saw Tool Hand saw Ruler Japanese saw

·
Registered
380SEC UK
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HomeMade test cable for measuring current, 102 589 04 63 00

Hi
Here is a pic of the HomeMade test cable for measuring current.
You need to make two of these, preferably one black and one red.
To test the Voltage during idle on the Idle Control Valve, you just connect it between the Idle Control Valve and the plug and take your reading by placing your multimeter probes in the straight couplings.
It works well.
Line Cable

·
Registered
1990' 560SEL
281 Posts
Chop 'n' Join said:
Hi
Here is a pic of the HomeMade Extractor Hook.
I have placed a 12 inch rule beside it to give an idea of dimensions.
It is made from a coat hanger wire and the twisted joint covered with insulating tape.
It works well.
View attachment 104023
I think the hook is too deep. All you need is just a 90 or 85 degree L shape hook. 1/4 inch tip is perfect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1990 560 SEC Removing Instrutment Cluster

Read a lot of threads re: the special tool and how to make your own, but the threads all stop short of providing any how to tips and pit falls re: the actual removal of the unit. Any guidance? Thanks Bob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.