Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a thread that the 2001 E55's are rare. Is it just that there were less of the made, or is there something else that sets them apart from any E55 1999-2001? Are there any custom or special features that some of them had?
I just got mine, and am new to the AMG world. Mine has a part wood steering wheel, AMG55 emblems on the hood and sides, and a special AMG shift knob and pedals. Are these features added by the pervious owner, or is this something special from AMG?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Mine has a part wood steering wheel, AMG55 emblems on the hood and sides, and a special AMG shift knob and pedals. Are these features added by the pervious owner, or is this something special from AMG?
Your 'extra' features were added by a previous owner or possibly even dealer-installed accesories... sounds nice though, let's see some eye-candy. :)

Just production numbers make the '01 more scarce than the others (W210 AMG was 1999-2002 in the US):

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think Designo editions are what you're referring to.

If that's the case, there are 2 designo editions available for 01 and 02 Model Years. Designo Mocha Espresso edition and Designo Silver edition (not sure if that's the exact name).

Designo Mocha Espresso have high production numbers I believe, so if rarity is your target find a designo silver edition but good luck finding one.

edit: I just noticed you are located in my neighborhood, I bought mine from an old lady from Redwood city 4 years ago and is in pristine condition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is a Designo Edition, and how do you find out the "production" number? Mine is a silver car, does that mean it may be a silver edition?
Yea, I'm in Menlo Park. I still can't believe how clean the car is! I'm told that it isn't just steam cleaned, but that the car has been very well maintained. I can eat of the engine, it's that clean! As soon as it gets light I'll take some pic's.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Klaus,
To put it in more simple terms, designo edition E55s are the special edition which contains added extra such as different leather, different wood accents,
standard features which would be an option on a regular E55 (w210).
As far as numbers, who knows, I wish someone do have an officially sanctioned (Mercedes Benz) copy of their production numbers.
When I was shopping around, I came across an E55 in Salt Lake City, silver exterior, 2 tone interior - black and burgundy with the usual E55 interior options - At that time, I thought it was designo edition but it's not. It was a factory ordered color interior which you can configure yourself when you place the order. The real Designo Silver edition has a yellowish color although it is silver. with lots of nappa leather trims in the interior.
Mine is Designo Mocha Espresso - exterior paint is Mocha Black (like coffee)
with brown interior.
The link below is a designo silver edition. I just wish the owner posted interior videos too. If I can find one with the same condition and low mileage as mine, I would gladly do a trade. But reality is, there isn't one.

What is a Designo Edition, and how do you find out the "production" number? Mine is a silver car, does that mean it may be a silver edition?
Yea, I'm in Menlo Park. I still can't believe how clean the car is! I'm told that it isn't just steam cleaned, but that the car has been very well maintained. I can eat of the engine, it's that clean! As soon as it gets light I'll take some pic's.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Looks fantastic! Although AFAIK, the extras are non-stock items. Nice additions though! :thumbsup:

I love this wheel! But it still differs from the stock sport steering-wheel (raised grips).
yeah, those are aftermarket items. Probably from eBay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info.! I still love the car, and I like all the additions, even if they aren't stock. I'd love to see a Designo though.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
The signature "plate" I understand started in 2003. I have never found one on pre-2003 myself, if you find one on pre-2003 take a pic and let us know.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
"Made"

Up to 2003, the chassis were shipped to Alta and the engines/trannies were inserted there, my understanding after 2003 the engine/trannies for most production AMG are shipped from Alta to be inserted at the plant of chassis origination.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2000 E-55 Designo Silver

I have a 2000 E-55 with the Designo Silver edition. I have been trying to find out how many were made with this special edition to no avail. I have been on autotrader.com monthly for 7 years to see if anyone was selling another 2000 E-55 Designo Silver and have not seen any.

I heard that members Flybyyou and 4everomeo have 2001 and 2002 designo silver E55s. I took my E55 to a European car show in San Diego about three years ago and none of the E-55 enthusiast had ever seen one before.

IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW I CAN FIND OUT HOW MANY DESIGNO SILVER EDITION E-55 WERE PRODUCED IN MODEL YEAR 2000, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey fans,

I still have my Designo Silver 2002 E55 with around 56k miles, not bad for a now 17 yo car. 😀 will be rare one day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
7 Participants
JOE55
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing