Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i Need help on how to remove the rear and front speakers. I tried taking the speaker cover off in the back and it cracked because it is so brittle.Can someone help me with this prob?

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Many covers on these cars are held in by one or two screws, and then you lift a bit, and pull towards you, revealing tabs that fit in slots away from you.
There are not any screws here, however, you may be able to pop the grille off.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
You have to remove the rear seat back in order to remove the rear speaker grilles. After removing the seat back you very carefully slide the whole speaker cover forward. There are tabs that slide into the rear parcel shelf.

·
Registered
497 Posts
There is a ball attachment on the front edge of the grill, in the center. Pry up gently to unsnap the ball, then slide the grill forward to remove. I did not need to remove the seatback to do it. As with most aged plastic bits, pateince is a virtue, don't be in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I've not had to remove anything to pull the rear speaker covers off, either, though mine is a Bose system...might be different for others.

Just gently, very gently, slide the plastic covers toward the front of the car, and the tabs will let go of the parcel shelf's housing. I've yet to be able to get my driver's side one back on without the slightest bit of fabric wrinkling, the parcel shelf 'carpet', but so it goes.

The fronts, to remove the grills, you need a short, small Phillip's screwdriver. A short #1 should do it, but you might need a large 'electronics' screwdriver, the kind which go from really small to I-can-tell-it's-a-screwdriver size. They usually have tops which spin....

Sun + plastic = very brittle plastic needing only a slight touch to turn to powder, in many cases, so after 20 years, expect to hear some bad noises as you take apart interior pieces. It doesn't help the rear speaker covers have that nice, large window under which to bake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts