Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1986 300SDL Turbo Diesel
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm attempting ro replace my 1986 300sdl stock speakers with upgraded pioneer speakers. I researched and read that these new speakers drop right in, but I'm having trouble with the whole replacement process. Do I have to take the whole dashboard out? How do I remove the wires? What exactly do I need to remove to replace the speakers?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1985 300SD with a bad transmission and a 1985 300SD with a good transmission
578 Posts
I did this about a month ago. The grills come out with a few screws, it's not hard at all. The wires were attached to the speaker and then through one of those weird Benz connectors like this: ========[weird connector]======(speaker prongs)

I connected them like this: =====(splice for extra wire0=========(split the wire)±±±±±±±< (little connector thingy that fit on prongs on speaker) then gently squeezed them tight.

Was this the best fix? No clue, but I did it myself and dammit that makes me happy lol.

I couldn't find direct drop in replacements so I cut the bejeezus out of them and they look kinda crappy but sound a billion times better than the blown 30 year old OEMs (which I still have if anyone is interested for a momento?)

·
Registered
1985 300SD with a bad transmission and a 1985 300SD with a good transmission
578 Posts
Added thought:
Make sure all your positives and negatives are hooked up the same through all speakers or your sound will be weird. A good way to check is grab a 9v battery (the square one that tickles your tongue) and touch the prongs on the speaker. All speakers should be wired the same but this will check for you, depending how you touch the battery to the prongs the speaker will move either in or out but not both. It's not important which way it goes but it is important that they all move the same way. Hope that makes sense/helps/is right!

·
Premium Member
07 Silverado CC Z71, 10 Chevy Tahoe LT, 12 BMW K1600GLT
5,812 Posts
Bumping up an old thread here, but anyway...

I need to replace the factory speakers in my 83 500SE. Now... I'm assuming it only comes with the two in the dash and two in the rear shelf, right?

Which speakers are drop in replacements?

I'm going to be replacing the somewhat crappy Pioneer head unit and possibly adding a sub somewhere at some point for sure, but I'm not going to start replacing any wiring at this point or removing the OEM fader control (works fine) etc.

I just want to take the easy way out for now to get some proper sound out of the speakers and not just mostly rattle. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
560SEC, 190E, Frontier, 240Z
1,329 Posts
Do we have a sticky on speaker quantity, brands replacements for various models?
That would be neat... hint

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Do we have a sticky on speaker quantity, brands replacements for various models?
That would be neat... hint
Not that I have found so far.

What comes to the quantity, based on some of the threads I've read lately, Gen I has just four (two on top of the dash and two in the rear) and Gen II has six (dash, front doors and rear).

Also, my research is indicating that the rears might be 4x6 and fronts 3.5", buit would be nice if somebody could confirm this and since at least the fronts might have clearance issues, it would be good to hear some suggestions about particular models.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Okay... Correction to my previous post.

Just took a quick peek under the grill of one of the dash speakers and it looks to be just a regular 4"x6", not 3.5" as indicated by Crutchfield. Not sure where they get their specs... :rolleyes:

So, now I have two pairs of Pioneer 4x6s ready to be installed either today or tomorrow. Hopefully those will get rid of the snap crackle and pop I've mostly been listening to.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
Maybe sure you have the correct impedance for your replacement speakers. I know a some (if not all) of the Gen 2 systems require a 2 ohm speaker.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Mine is Gen 1 and I believe those are 4ohm speakers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts