Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove the speakers on the C-Coupe? There are two midrange/woofers in each door and one tweeter in each door in the corner space.<br>
<br>
I want to replace/upgrade the system in the car, but I need to find out the exact dimensions of the speaker locations. I have been told the door speakers are 6.5', but I don't know what depth is available. Also, I don't know anything at all about the tweeter mounting spaces.<br>
<br>
I assume at least a few of the people here are DIY types.<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks.<br>
<br>
<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The MB Quart DSD 216's will fit perfectly in your doors. I matched them with a Rockford Fosgate amp. The standard head unit isn't powerful enough to run them. One warning, your installer will have to run all new wiring because this system is not compatable with the fiber optic cable in the car. Speakers list for $400 but you can get them on line for about $189. The amp cost me $200 at Best Buy. Installation was about $280 because they use a good harness and good wire..

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already DIY'd it. The speakers didn't fit perfectly. I modified the stock plastic mounting thing to fit the Quart's. It required some hacksawing and some drilling and glueing of plastic. After that though, they fit perfectly. Unfortunately though, I screwed up the triangular A-pilar tweeter mounting plastics. I might order replacements and try again.<br>
<br>
For the amp I use a JL Audio 300/4. I also have a JL Audio 500/1 for the sub which I haven't hooked up yet. <br>
<br>
For the head unit, I opened up the stock unit and found a way to tap into the pre-amp outputs. It's a bit noisy though, so I might try making a facia adapter for an aftermarket DIN-sized unit.<br>
<br>
A wiring harness only costs something like $10-15, btw. <br>
<br>
There's some noise in the system that I haven't figured out where it's coming from: It could be induced noise. It could be a ground loop. The amplifier could be noisy from noisy power or ground. I don't know yet. It's a fun project though. <br>
<br>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts