Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have learned that you can install sub/amps without accessing your stock head unit by using speaker level input. speaker-level inputs let you use your factory speaker wire to feed an amplifier the musical signal from your radio. In addition to connections for power and ground, any speaker-level amp hook-up requires you to tap into the factory speaker wire.

The problem is idk how to get into the rear deck where the factory sub woofer is. Once i can do that it is an easy install from there other than getting the power cord throught the firewall. If anyone has any DIYs or any tips on how to do this id appreciate it. I have a c230ss 2006

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,733 Posts
Hmmm, so if I understand correctly, you want to use the stock head unit and stock amp to power the stock speakers, but you want to add a second amp to power a sub woofer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes your exactly right. I want a setup like 2 kicker l7 12 inches but im not sure wat amp want to power them. If you know how to do the install let me know.

(Sorry about my grammer im really drunk right now)

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,733 Posts
Okay, that's pretty easy to do. You'll need to splice a PAC OEM-2 into the audio wires connected to the stock amp in the trunk. You can buy one from PAC OEM-2 Universal Factory Sound System Interface at Crutchfield.com

The output from the PAC OEM-2 will feed into your secondary amp. Unfortunately I don't have the wiring diagram for the wire harness in the trunk but you can sniff it out by looking at the wires on the back of the radio.

·
Registered
1986 190e 2.3-16 (W201), 1997 SL320 Panoramic Glass Top (R129) & 2009 C300 Panoramic Top (W204)
739 Posts
Upgrade

I recommend you go ahead and replace that tired factory head unit. Use the interface and harness plug sold at Cruthfield and this way you have cleaner sound, direct CD, MP3, IPOD capability, RCA level out puts and depending of the head unit sub control. This way all you need to run to the rear is the RCA cable for your subs, use the power feed for your antenna for the amp remote and with the battery so close to the amp you don't need to run too much power wire. I also suggest you bolt it up on the bottom side of the rear deck. These would offer you good air circulation and an easy way to make any crossover or gain adjustments. As far as subs and amp combination's that all depends on what music you like and don't forget not to drown out your factory vocals. I already done the same on my last car and I will be adding the amp and subs to my C280 in the very near future. :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jporrata said:
I recommend you go ahead and replace that tired factory head unit. Use the interface and harness plug sold at Cruthfield and this way you have cleaner sound, direct CD, MP3, IPOD capability, RCA level out puts and depending of the head unit sub control. This way all you need to run to the rear is the RCA cable for your subs, use the power feed for your antenna for the amp remote and with the battery so close to the amp you don't need to run too much power wire. I also suggest you bolt it up on the bottom side of the rear deck. These would offer you good air circulation and an easy way to make any crossover or gain adjustments. As far as subs and amp combination's that all depends on what music you like and don't forget not to drown out your factory vocals. I already done the same on my last car and I will be adding the amp and subs to my C280 in the very near future. :cool:
Thanks for the info guys but does crutchfield send you the tools to get your stock HU out or can you guys tell me a way without the tools?

·
Registered
1986 190e 2.3-16 (W201), 1997 SL320 Panoramic Glass Top (R129) & 2009 C300 Panoramic Top (W204)
739 Posts
Hello again

Yes! They will send you the removal keys, antenna adapter and harness. I would use them, their prices are compatible, shipping is free after a certain purchase amount and they send you all info needed to do the job. Happy shopping. Post your pictures when you are done. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello, I have a 1997 C280. It has the bose stereo system. Did I understand in the post above that you can install a newer head unit and it will work seemless with the bose amp and current speaker setup?

Recently, I bought an ipod interface that plugs into the CD changer slot and it works and sounds great. I would like a better head unit with greater options though. Any advice?

thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Whats everyone think of the Bose system?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes it does : )

I have used the PAC interface without any issues. I am using an Alpine head unit I have had for a while and it sounds very nice with the Bose amp and speakers setup. The highs and bass are much clearer plus I have direct CD capability. I will be adding Bass right off the Alpine RCAs in the near furture. Just to add a better fill for complete sound imaging. Use the offers in Cruthfield, they will send you all you need for the install plus free shipping.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So, when I pull out the old head unit to install the new one I am assuming there will be an adapter I will use to connect the existing factory wire harness into the new head unit that I buy. Is this correct? I am assuming that when I buy the radio that I need to ask them for the adapter. Do I have this correct?

·
Registered
739 Posts
That is correct!

You will be using a harness that goes into the factory harness, you will then wire up the PAC from your radio RCAs or speaker wire output to the harness adapter of the radio. (radio to PAC to harness adapter to factory harness, all done : ) )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts