Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Somewhat general audio question:
- my 91 560sel came with an old pioneer unit. Center Fader wheel on console non functional. From what I recall, there were various speaker wires tied together (securely) behind the dash. The original speakers and all other aspects of the OE stereo setup appeared to be intact
- Replaced the pioneer with a new Continental unit. Used the supplied wiring harness. Unit works fine/all speakers work fine, but whenever I turn the head unit to a higher volume, the radio shuts down/reboots. Repeats this cycle unless I lower the volume.

Suggestions on what the check for, first?

Thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks for the correction. I was unaware that was the situation with the Slash amps. Kinda shitty. They have since upgraded RIPS to function the way I thought it always did on 4-channel amps. Per HD600/4 manual:

"The HD600/4 employs JL Audio’s exclusive Regulated, Intelligent Power Supply (R.I.P.S.) design. The operation of the R.I.P.S. system is independent for each pair of channels. This sophisticated power supply allows the amplifier to produce its optimum power (150 watts x 4) over a wide range of speaker impedances."

To fish speaker wires through the door tape them to the original wires and pull them through. Lube like dish soap or KY if you keep some in your glovebox helps quite a bit. Tape first, lube after or it won't stick. Luckily this car is well before the widespread use of Molex connectors, which I will unfortunately have to deal with soon installing door speakers in my W163.
:grin

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
Somewhat general audio question:
- my 91 560sel came with an old pioneer unit. Center Fader wheel on console non functional. From what I recall, there were various speaker wires tied together (securely) behind the dash. The original speakers and all other aspects of the OE stereo setup appeared to be intact
- Replaced the pioneer with a new Continental unit. Used the supplied wiring harness. Unit works fine/all speakers work fine, but whenever I turn the head unit to a higher volume, the radio shuts down/reboots. Repeats this cycle unless I lower the volume.

Suggestions on what the check for, first?

Thanks
It sounds like your Continental head unit has a power protection feature that shuts it down when the voltage supplied spikes or falls outside the normal range.

Where does it draw the power from? I'm assuming it's from a switched circuit.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I helped two friends install Continental headunits this year. Guy with the BMW E24 has the same issue with it cutting out higher volumes. I suggested he exchange it for a new one, and the replacement does the same thing. Forget the model number but it's the one without a CD player. My friend with the W201 got the CD player equipped model and he can peg the volume without cutting out, but it's not very loud.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I helped two friends install Continental headunits this year. Guy with the BMW E24 has the same issue with it cutting out higher volumes. I suggested he exchange it for a new one, and the replacement does the same thing. Forget the model number but it's the one without a CD player. My friend with the W201 got the CD player equipped model and he can peg the volume without cutting out, but it's not very loud.

I hate hearing this as I wanted to go with that radio at some point

I know Porsche guys love those radios. I doubt they would be using them if it was a mass problem.

Don’t they have to versions of the radio ? 2 different voltage ratings I think? Could that be an issue ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
It sounds like your Continental head unit has a power protection feature that shuts it down when the voltage supplied spikes or falls outside the normal range.

Where does it draw the power from? I'm assuming it's from a switched circuit.
Yes, the same switched circuit that powered the previous head unit and (I assume) powered the OEM becker. My initial thought was too thin of a power wire to supply voltage to the radio. A quick test of running a larger guage wire directly to the battery would test out that theory. Ditto for testing ground.
Just didnt know if anyone had other ideas. I hate even touching this old dash (brittle plastic everywhere) anymore than I have to

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I should have mentioned that I had my friend run power and ground directly to the battery and it did the same thing.

I think what's probably happening is the built-in amp is barely 4-ohm stable, and the impedance of the speakers dips below a load it's completely happy driving. We will be installing an amp in the car soon, so eventually that issue will be skirted one way or another.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
I agree it’s that the amp isn’t stable at the load and is shutting down
Try to disconnect the rear speakers and see if that fixes it

101 - 108 of 108 Posts
About this Discussion
107 Replies
11 Participants
tusabes
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing