Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replace everything. When I installed a new system in my 300SEL, I ran the front speakers through the head unit (Alpine 40x4) and ran the rear speakers (with a 12” sub) through the amp (3ch). The amp also has subwoofer volume control. It’s really not that difficult, just time consuming. Once installed you can balance the front and rears.

It doesn’t matter what type of speakers, amp, head unit you have if you don’t plan accordingly. But it’s best to replace everything. It’ll sounds beautiful in the end.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Sorry I'm so late to the party. I replaced the entire stereo system in my miata. Initially, I installed JBL speakers with an Alpine HU and the 445 amp. That amp was terrible. It actually sounded worse than running straight off my HU. I wound up adding a separate, real Alpine 4-channel amp that was rated the same 45 watts per channel. With the same speakers, there is no comparison. Interstate *cough* mph with the top down and I can hear everything.

Which brings me to this. I really love JBL. I'm running independent tweeters and a pair 6.5 JBL's in the Miata doors. And I have a pair of JBL 8 inch subs behind the seats. I'm looking to do the same in my 300SE. I already my HU, a JL 4 X 75 watts amp for the interior speakers, and an Alpine 500w monoblock amp to run the sub. I just need speakers and wires. That's a JBL sub there in the trunk, right? Can you hear it in the car?

Replace everything. When I installed a new system in my 300SEL, I ran the front speakers through the head unit (Alpine 40x4) and ran the rear speakers (with a 12” sub) through the amp (3ch). The amp also has subwoofer volume control. It’s really not that difficult, just time consuming. Once installed you can balance the front and rears.

It doesn’t matter what type of speakers, amp, head unit you have if you don’t plan accordingly. But it’s best to replace everything. It’ll sounds beautiful in the end.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks. Finally someone chimed in on the 445 amp. I though I was going but. I work in Av for gods sake.

Anyhow. Decided to keep Morels. Getting a JL or Focal amp with 75 rms x4. Should match morels well. Gonna start running rca cables and remote / power tomorrow. Hope the amp gets in by the weekend.

Will update when it’s all done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
There is a lot of these space saving amps out there now... I was thinking of getting the pioneer version for my Porsche. I have a basic pioneer headunit added a few yrs ago and figure to add soemthing simple that I could do my self but haven't gone that fast yet.

Hoping to get my sec system sorted soon too.. something clean and tight..

The 12 inch subs in box in trunk work fine in the cabin. My 12w3 with ppi amp head been my workhorse for a decade

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The 12 inch subs in box in trunk work fine in the cabin. My 12w3 with ppi amp head been my workhorse for a decade
Good to know. I think I'm just gun-shy because I tried to put 2 different 12's in the trunk of my Miata, and you can't here them. There's a metal barrier between the rear of cabin and the trunk. I was under the impression the gas tank has the same sound deadening effect in the w126. And the is a much more substantial, quieter car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
2 12s Ina Miata a u couldn't hear them

I'm not a doctor ...yes I am. ...but yeah go get your ears checked

Or. Did u connect the sub box wiring

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can hear the sub just fine in the car. The neighbors can hear it just fine in their houses too.

I don’t recommend just tweeters in the dash. I went with 4” coax in the dash and 5.25” coax in the doors and rear panel in my Gen 2. All are MB Quart and fit perfect in the stock locations.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Got a JL 300/4 amp from eBay. Will come in few days.

I’ll start running RCa cables and power to the trunk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good.
Grief.

I now remember why I don’t like to post in these forums.

The point is: the system is loud, completely adjustable and sounds very good. Much better than the original system....that was 30 years old!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
2 12s Ina Miata a u couldn't hear them

I'm not a doctor ...yes I am. ...but yeah go get your ears checked

Or. Did u connect the sub box wiring
The subs were 2 different 12's at 2 different times. I couldn't hear either of them. It is a common problem in convertibles, and particularly in the 3rd generation (NC) Miata. Most people just give up on bass in that car. ...I don't think I could actually fit 2 12's in the Miata trunk at the same time...

When I was getting my doctor's degree, when we were learning to use the otoscope, my instructors had every classmate look in my left ear. Though I have no loss of hearing, apparently I do have scar tissue on that tympanic membrane. :angel

I don’t recommend just tweeters in the dash. I went with 4” coax in the dash and 5.25” coax in the doors and rear panel in my Gen 2. All are MB Quart and fit perfect in the stock locations.
Great recommendation on the speaker sizes. I used separate tweeters in the Miata because I put them in the A-pillar. In the W126, I'll plan on 3.5's in the dash, 6.5's in the front door, and (given I broke the covers and I'm gonna have to create something anyway) I think I'm gonna try to put 6 X 9's in the rear deck. Along w/a sub in the trunk. Though I do love ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL the trunk space.

As for volume, i always turn it down in my residential complex. :devil

Got a JL 300/4 amp from eBay. Will come in few days.

I’ll start running RCa cables and power to the trunk.

Keep us updated on the progress. Especially now that you're done with that evil evil pseudo amp. And let me know how that JL amp does. I expect it's what I bought, though mine is OLD.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
UPDATE

I decided to put back the stock speakers in the back last week and call it a day in defeat. I was so upset by the whole ordeal that I was driving my Jag with all 4 blow speakers all week. I figured I’d stuff the Morels there.
But since then, one of the rear speakers has developed a buzz and I realized that this is fate and Morels have got to go back in there.

Not sure what I did right this time , but Morels sound good now out back, just as good as stock if not better. They are running off Alpine 445 mini amp. But not for long.

I have a JL Audio 300/4 amp coming in this Friday. 75 rms per channel should match 85rms of Morel speakers.

All I have to do is run a pair of rca cables, remote and power cable to the back. I’m sure it will push those rear Morels well. That will make me want to change front speakers as well, and I’ll have the amp ready for it.

Will post final update when JL comes.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Ran the cables. Wasn’t too bad at all. Wish it was cooler. Somehow I always end up with projects when it’s summer time and it’s hot as hell. Not having a garage doesn’t help either.

Waiting for the amp to arrive.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Success.
Good the JL 300/ 4 amp hooked up to morels our back. All is well and they work a lot better than stock units.
I haven’t dialed it all in much. All filters are off and sensitivity is at 25% on the amp.
Do morels need a proper break in ? Reason I ask. There is a small pop at loud volume when some drums are played. So not a low frequency. I’d say in 500-800 range. Not always there. I’ll ask Crutchfield as well.

Now I have to get front door and dash speakers and be done with it all.

Fun times don’t stop. Next project after that is my Jaguar Xj6. Has all stock speakers blown.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
All done.
Morel 6.5 components in rear .
Morel 6.5 component in the front door, left the tweeter out .
Have to pick speakers for the dash this week and pop them in when they arrive.
All running from a JL Audio 300/4 amp.

Overall the improvement is there. Everything is a lot cleaner, sound wise. I got the mid bass I wanted and then some. All speakers still need of breaking in. I have to figure out what music I’d like to use for that.

I’m wondering if I should purchase the speaker baffles they sell. They are cheap, install them to have the speakers to sit in. In theory it should help a lot.

Lesson learned.
Get the most powerful amp you can get. 400+ watt for 4 channels and up. Quality of the amp matters. I must note at this time that ALPINE 445 mini amp is not meant for this. Not sure what it’s meant for, but it’s hardly any better than running speakers of the modern radio deck.

Also, while morels are good at $160 a pair price point, I wonder if the next model up which is in $300 range is that much better.

Also. I really didn’t want to add any subs in the trunk and I still don’t want to, but if you want low end response at lower volumes, there is no way you are getting it without a sub. My biggest concern with running a sub is adding another amp in the trunk and stressing the electrical system of a 29 year old MB. Any thoughts on this ?

HPf set at 50hz. I still have to dial in the sensitivity with the volt meter. Or pay a pro shop a few bucks to do it for me.

Thank you all for chiming in. While the whole ordeal was a bit frustrating ( either that or at 40 I’m too old for this crap), if I had to do it all over again, it would be very easy. 2-3 hours max. And that’s with running all the cables. Power run on one side and RCA on the other.

Great, now on to my next project.
96 XJ 6 with its blown speakers.
I’d like to try the Focal ISS 6.5 speakers in that one. Will probably try a Focal 4 channel amp, unless a good JL amp comes along for a good price.

After that, I need another amp for my Lincoln. To finish that 10 year project.

As a guy who makes his living in corporate AV you would think I’d have my shit in order.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
No special procedure or musical genre is required for break-in. Just listen as you normally would.

Setting gains with a multimeter is a waste of time. This should be done by ear. You've got enough power that the speakers are the limiting factor, so when they sound unhappy you can back off the trim pot a bit.

Foam "Baffles" are they're so called are also a waste of time unless you're using them as a rain guard for a door install. They're not acoustically transparent as they claim. They function as a tiny, leaky enclosure and most car audio speakers are designed with high-Q to be installed in open rear decks or in doors.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
No special procedure or musical genre is required for break-in. Just listen as you normally would.

Setting gains with a multimeter is a waste of time. This should be done by ear. You've got enough power that the speakers are the limiting factor, so when they sound unhappy you can back off the trim pot a bit.

Foam "Baffles" are they're so called are also a waste of time unless you're using them as a rain guard for a door install. They're not acoustically transparent as they claim. They function as a tiny, leaky enclosure and most car audio speakers are designed with high-Q to be installed in open rear decks or in doors.

Cool thanks for the input.

Sensitivity I have set at 15%. Or around there.
Volume range on the deck is 35. So set this way I’m a good till about 25-30, depending on a track, without any massive distortion. I tried higher sensitivity setting and the volume would tap out by volume setting at 20. So I’d like to think I’m in the range.

41 - 60 of 108 Posts