Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 ML430
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... was wondering where/how many clips hold down the rear drivers side inside cover of the door?... I noticed I wasn't getting any volume out of that speaker and all others are fine. Want to take the cover off and see if the wires are still attached to it or what the deal is. If by chance it is blown (don't know why it would be as I don't listen to my radio loud) is it worth upgrading all 4 door speakers to something else besides the Bose? (I've heard its not worth it as the Bose system is already pre-amplified, but then again it's only what I have heard from another guy). Any info would be great. Hope everyone is doin well... cheers

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
If it's dead, then it's more likely that a wire is loose or it's not getting a signal. Blowing a speaker makes it sound bad unless it's subjected to serious abuse. If the speaker actually failed for some reason then you might as well upgrade both back speakers as the cost will be similar and that gives you an upgrade path later.

The Bose system puts the BOSE equalization on the signal before it reaches the speakers so changing just the speakers won't make any significant sonic difference. People might think it sounds better though.

Can't remember how many connectors there are but it's like 10 or something like that. Once you start pulling they all come out pretty easily, it's pretty obvious once you begin.

·
Registered
02 S430 - 00 ML55 - 91 NSX
259 Posts
its pretty easy to remove the door panel.. 3 screws. 2 behind the handle cover and 1 behind the SRS oval plate.

There is about 8-10 pins that button down the door cover. The rear have a funny locking knob that you have to detach. also have to unhook the unlock handle and door lamp. Get some new pins. most likely 2-3 of them will break.

Bose have 2ohm speakers either you get replacements or just change them out to aftermarket ones. You should replace pairs at a time to avoid different volume issues from L & R.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts