Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

2002 C230 Kompressor Coupe Non-Bose System factory installed system

I am new to Benzworld so forgive me if I posted to the wrong location. My question is two fold. The first is speaker access and the second pertains to impedence and speakers.

Speaker Access - Doors - I have a great article on how to remove the door panel, but is this necessary. I see what appears to be separate compartments that may allow access to the speakers with out removing the door panel. If this true, has anyone done this and how does one do this without breaking the cover?

Impedence - I have been told the audio system is 2 ohm. I wold like to replace the speakers in the car (I count 8 total - 1 component and 1 2way each door, 1 center of dash, and 1 subwoofer trunk). Most speakers on the market are 4 ohm. My understanding is either I replace with 2 ohms as needed or if I go up to 4 ohms then all must be replace. The main question here is can I put 4 ohm speakers on a system rated at 2 ohms. I have read this is possilbe with some loss of power. Is there any concern with amp/head damage?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
11,212 Posts
The Bose system uses 2-ohm speakers. Other systems, including MB and 3rd party, use 4-ohm speakers. Because you don't have a Bose system, it is safe to assume that your installed speakers are 4-ohm.

Removal of the door panels is likely not necessary since you should be able to retain your speakers. I can't answer whether removal of the door panels is necessary to replace speakers if you elect to do so.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts