Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 E55 AMG
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, I was hoping someone can guide me. I was told by the dealer that I need new spark plugs, I have a 99 e55 with 45k and the manual says that you need to change them at 100k or 4 years wichever comes first. They told me that the cost is $740.00 to replace them I think the cost of any spark plug is between $5 to $25 so that means that they are charging about $500 in labor..My question is, Can I just buy the spurk plugs and replace them myself or I do need them to do it for me. Please I need advise.
I am not a mechanic but I am very handy.

Thank you

·
Registered
2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
986 Posts
Screw that! Although there are 16 plugs, not 8, it's still an outrageous price. If you don't want to do it yourself (a couple plugs are a real pain), an independent shop should be half that price.

·
Registered
233 Posts
F55 is right, (maybe 150/200 for plugs and 200/250 labor is more like what an idependent German car garage would charge)

Using the dealer always has an UP ^ charge, up whose is the real question that we all know the answer to.

If you are having no problems I would not change them, because unleaded fuel does not cause plugs to go south until over 100k miles. If you are not having performance related problems you will see no performance or mileage gain, but you will be out 450+ clams.

·
Registered
99 E55 AMG
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for the responces, as you can see I'm learning with all of you here and thank you for letting me know that the car has 16 spark and not 8 like I thought. I will follow you guys advise, I won't change the plugs. I'm not having any problem at all with them. what about the gas filter they want $350.00 is that easy to change???

thank you all

1 - 5 of 5 Posts